Do I have to buy Windows 7 ?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Im glad, because if you'd have said "Cloning or using windows own backup program will work on the same computer,but as steaky mentioned not to another computer.
One of the reasons being the drivers will be incompatible causing all sorts of problems,it's highly unlikely it would even start up"
with the dog avatar, I wouldn't have believed it for a second and wanted a second a opinion! I haven't told keynes yet, but his is borderline :)
Well with the cloning method the incompatible drivers will be included and I don't think there's anyway to avoid that,I could be wrong though.
With the method you mentioned it's possible to remove the drivers.
Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

ChrisByatt

Silver Level Poster
You could run a sysprep in windows - leaves your software and files in place but allows you to start from scratch (rename computer, create first user etc). If you navigate to c:\windows\system 32\sysprep in command prompt, then type sysprep /oobe /generalize it will prep the system for adding into a new pc, then you boot it in another computer and it will scan the hardware and install it all.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721940(v=ws.10).aspx

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
So if the op could uninstall/deactivate drivers on his old hdd before inserting into his new machine and then boot from it, it can be done? Then he could clone the rectified old hdd to the new hdd?
I believe that's possible once the correct drivers are installed before cloning.There might be some unforeseen problems though,so best back up any important data,in case a clean install becomes the only option.
There could still be the problem of activating the OS with a new motherboard if using an OEM version of windows,but this can sometimes be resolved through microsoft,they can be quite obliging at times.

Last edited:

SPiiTFiiRE88

I think I have started something here lol, I will look into it but I may stick with getting a new copy this seems to much work for a lazy guy like me haha, thanks for the info though guys

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I think I have started something here lol, I will look into it but I may stick with getting a new copy this seems to much work for a lazy guy like me haha, thanks for the info though guys
If you have a retail version of windows7 you shouldn't need to buy a new version as a retail version can be installed on any one computer at a time.

ChrisByatt

Silver Level Poster
A sysprep should do exactly what you need without cloning and whatnot, you could just plug in your old hdd. Or copy the contents to new one if you don't have two drive bays..

SPiiTFiiRE88

If you have a retail version of windows7 you shouldn't need to buy a new version as a retail version can be installed on any one computer at a time.

How do I tell if it is a reusable version? I have the box for it with 3 discs inside with a product key inside the box

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
How do I tell if it is a reusable version? I have the box for it with 3 discs inside with a product key inside the box
Sounds like a retail version to me,OEM versions are usually marked as such or have something like "licensed for distribution only with a new PC" on it,and the key is on a sticker on the computer.As you say you bought it from a store and didn't come with a new PC it won't be,or shouldn't be an OEM version.
You can also check this if you have it installed by right clicking "computer"/properties,then look at the Product ID at the bottom of the page,an OEM version will have "OEM" in the serial number.
Out of interest what are the 3 disks,I've seen retail versions with two disks,32 bit and 64 bit versions.

Last edited:

SPiiTFiiRE88

thanks for the info, it doesnt say OEM in the number, do you think I could go ahead and cancel my copy I am ordering through PCS and spend the money on better components?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
thanks for the info, it doesnt say OEM in the number, do you think I could go ahead and cancel my copy I am ordering through PCS and spend the money on better components?
Well I'm pretty sure it's a retail version you have and can therefore be installed on any one computer at a time,so if you won't be using it on the computer you have you won't need to buy another version.What are the the three disks you have in the box?

SPiiTFiiRE88

Well I'm pretty sure it's a retail version you have and can therefore be installed on any one computer at a time,so if you won't be using it on the computer you have you won't need to buy another version.

Ok cool, i know its sounds stupid but will I have to un-install it from my old PC before I go ahead and put on on my new PC? if so how do I do that? sorry for the silly questions lol

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ok cool, i know its sounds stupid but will I have to un-install it from my old PC before I go ahead and put on on my new PC? if so how do I do that? sorry for the silly questions lol
You can uninstall the OS with the windows disk by selecting the format option.

SPiiTFiiRE88

Thanks for the help guys, I have looked into it more and I definitely have the retail copy so I have been able to save £79 on my build and have upgraded to a slightly better Mobo, a Corsair H80i and a 750w PSU, good times + REP to you both!