Do you think my PSU is enough?

Akyho

I am having an argument with my friend about my PSU needs. The webpage said everything is fine. My friend argues with me. He too is a PCS customer. I am telling him if the webpage isnt accurate enough then we shall find out in quality testing and burn in peroid. which he argues they just test to see if it blues screens. so any info on weather what he says is true or he is talking with a more intel and nvidia mind set.

Case
PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE (£59)

Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X4 945 (3.00GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3)

Motherboard
ASUS® M4A87TD/USB3: DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5770 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

2nd Graphics Card
NONE

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
250GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

RAID (HDD 1 & 2)
NONE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply & Case Cooling
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£25)

Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)

Price (excluding VAT)

£594.04

Price

£698.00

Gorman

Author Level
I see where the guy is coming from. On paper its fine, the machine will run and be great.

However i personally haven't used anything less than a 550-600w in any of my rigs for a long time.

PSU's reduce in output over time and there are always inevitable upgrades here and there, understanding this i tend to overspec my PSU's slightly, in this case a 600 sounds about right.

The PSU is a very important component and quite rightly shouldn't be overlooked.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The 1GB HD5770 has a peak power requirement of 108W: http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/3 and idles at around 18W.

You CPU has a requirement of around 95W. So even at peak, a 450W PSU allows for 247W "spare". Hard drives usually use around 25W, and each stick of RAM 5W, leaving the motherboard (about 40W), CPU fan (3W) and ODD (25W).

My opinon is that a 450W is more than adequate, but like Gorman has said, there is no pain in over-specifying your PSU. Your components will only draw the power they need, so you're not going to be wasting electric by having a more powerful PSU.

Akyho

Budget vs what i need is what iv went for. I run computers till there dead (not had good luck) which i am hopeing with the quility PCS gives that should be more than five years. Did the calculation and the only thing i would need to worry about more power is upgradeing the Video card. Which as my luck has gone with pc's i dont intend to plan for spending more now as i dont expect the computer to last long enough to bother upgradeing.

If its medium range come 5 years and still ticking then that would be great, other wise if i am not gonna run into any problems in the next year to two years then ill risk myself.

Sleinous

Author Level
I see where the guy is coming from. On paper its fine, the machine will run and be great.

However i personally haven't used anything less than a 550-600w in any of my rigs for a long time.

PSU's reduce in output over time and there are always inevitable upgrades here and there, understanding this i tend to overspec my PSU's slightly, in this case a 600 sounds about right.

The PSU is a very important component and quite rightly shouldn't be overlooked.

Ye, 100% what Gorman said, what with potentially adding another 5770 in Crossfire at a later date you would go straight over the 450W.

EDIT: and the fact that PSU and mobo are the biggest annoyances to upgrade in a PC as everything else relies/is plugged into them.