Dodgy PSU?

MrRaich

Silver Level Poster
So, my new PC, nice and dandy, but when I played Crysis for about a half hour, my PC just turns off. It doesn't shut Windows down, it just turns off, as if someone has pulled out the power plug. I got the PC on Thursday.

I played it on Thursday and it turned off my computer, I started it up, played again, and the same thing happened. I played Crysis again today (Friday), and it turned off AGAIN! So, I installed Crysis Warhead (hoping it was a bug with Crysis) and sure enough, it turned itself off after about half an hour of gameplay.

I installed some software that I thought might help me monitor reasons for my PC turning off - like GPU & CPU Temp' monitoring applications. I tabb'd out whilst playing Crysis Warhead to check the temperature and my Graph' card was at about 50-60 and my CPU cores were at about 35-40.

After I reasured myself that the Temps' were A-Okay I realised it could be the PSU. After my PC turned off I noticed that my PSU was on the hot side, for about 20 seconds anyway. Whilst playing Crysis it was fine though. I have a TX 850w PSU, an i7 2600 and the EVGA GTX 570 SC with the latest drivers.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
unplug anything unnecessary ie, USB devices to try and save power, also use GameBooster which removes unnecessary programs from the RAM which therefore requires less power, have you tried on perhaps, less intense games, perhaps trying Need For Speed World? thats much lower and free :)

it may actually be the graphics card, it may be faulty and not the heat, i had similar symptoms on my iPad and it turned out to be a faulty graphics card (not from heat) so it may be similar for you and not the PSU

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Have a look in event viewer it may give you a clue to the problem.
Go to control panel/performance information and tools/click advanced tools on the left hand side/view performance details in event log.
If nothing obvious showing there,at the top of the tree on the left hand side,click on custom views/administrative events.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd give pcs a call on monday morning mate. I'm sure one of the techies will have some decent suggestions.

Have you checked that everything going to the psu and gpu is plugged in properly?

MrRaich

Silver Level Poster
I've tried TF2 for about half an hour and we had no problems. Could it be that the plug for my computer can't drawn in around the 550w peak it needs? I'm using a plug extender.. thing. You know, the standard socket that allows you plug in another 6 or 8 plugs. I have my old monitor, 2.1 speakers and my computer. My computer plug is plugged into the socket closest to the lead connecting the extender to socket plug. Could it be that it can't utilize enough wattage?

Thanks for the comment.

MadMan

Super Star
Its strange how one game works whilst the other has problems. It could be a power problem so you might as well plug the computer in a wall plug and see what happens when on crysis. If its still not working then ring PCS on monday.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I've tried TF2 for about half an hour and we had no problems. Could it be that the plug for my computer can't drawn in around the 550w peak it needs? I'm using a plug extender.. thing. You know, the standard socket that allows you plug in another 6 or 8 plugs. I have my old monitor, 2.1 speakers and my computer. My computer plug is plugged into the socket closest to the lead connecting the extender to socket plug. Could it be that it can't utilize enough wattage?

Thanks for the comment.
As an electrician,I can assure you the setup you describe wont cause any problems like that.
have a look in event viewer like I suggested.

MrRaich

Silver Level Poster
READ - After playing Minecraft for about 1 hour (256bit Texture pack) it turned off. Just like the other times. I thought, F*** this, and I opened up the side panal and looked in. The graphics card seems to be operating fine.. My friend pointed out that the PSU was running hot. Seeing as I don't know how hot PSU's should be after long periods of use, we just assumed it was too hot. It was really hot though.. Like 50-70 degrees, probably higher on the 60+ end.. My friend also made a good point that the fan in the PSU might not be working.. We didn't feel a back draft when we hovered our hands over the PSU mesh stuff.. Anymore input? I'l give PCS a call tomorrow.

Thanks for all the swift replies lads!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
it sounds more like a faulty graphics card just kicking off the whole system, you have exactly the same symptoms as my iPad, mine wasnt getting too hot either