Does the B550 Plus support PCIE 4.0?

Caironic

So I have a pc ordered which should be built as soon the the GPU comes in stock. However I have ordered a Samsung 980 Pro and want the check the Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus supports PCIE 4.0 to fully utilize the M.2 SSD's capabilities. Any knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated!

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yes, B550 supports one gen 4 16-channel slot (used by the graphics card) and one gen 4 4-channel M.2 slot (used by the primary M.2 SSD). It will allow the 980 to do all its magic.

If you post your whole build, I'm sure I or others would be happy to give it the once-over in case we can offer any more advice!

Caironic

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 220T RGB AIRFLOW MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts

It won't show my amendments, I have changed it from a 3060ti to a 3070, and have changed the PCS m.2 to the Samsung 980 Evo pro. Great news that the mobo will support the SSD!

Caironic

Oh yeah? It seems like the 650 would be adequate, is the larger one just to cover potential future upgrades?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Oh yeah? It seems like the 650 would be adequate, is the larger one just to cover potential future upgrades?
yep better to cover it now, so if you upgrade a GPU a couple of years down the line you only need to sort the gpu

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
yep better to cover it now, so if you upgrade a GPU a couple of years down the line you only need to sort the gpu

Ash_

Master Poster
What would the higher quality provide for me? I know next to nothing about PSU's other than having the appropriate wattage
Longer life, lower chance of it damaging your rig, will age better. The list goes on, it is well worth investing in a good psu. Many of us on here have that specific psu

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The other thing that would be worth at least considering is whether you might have both a 980 (probably a 500GB) and a PCS M.2 drive (1TB). This gives you the 980 to install Windows on (where speed is most critical), and the second M.2 to store games on. This means you can do things like re-installing Windows without having to redownload all your games, etc.

Caironic

The other thing that would be worth at least considering is whether you might have both a 980 (probably a 500GB) and a PCS M.2 drive (1TB). This gives you the 980 to install Windows on (where speed is most critical), and the second M.2 to store games on. This means you can do things like re-installing Windows without having to redownload all your games, etc.
I'm thinking of adding maybe a 2tb HDD for things other than my OS and my most played games. Judging by my current setup I doubt I'll need much more than 1tb anyway. I'm happy to uninstall and reinstall games as needed if I get full. Most of the games I play are tiny anyway (rocket league, deep rock galactic and Valheim), all under about 2gb

Ash_

Master Poster
I'm thinking of adding maybe a 2tb HDD for things other than my OS and my most played games. Judging by my current setup I doubt I'll need much more than 1tb anyway. I'm happy to uninstall and reinstall games as needed if I get full. Most of the games I play are tiny anyway (rocket league, deep rock galactic and Valheim), all under about 2gb
The corsair m.2 is great value. I’d probably go for one of those, a HDD will load games a lot slower.

Caironic

Oof that's a lot more expensive than a HDD though, especially after spending so much in the 980. Like I said in the thread I doubt I will need more than the one tb for games anyway

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
To be honest, that's the best argument for going for the 500GB 980 + 1TB Corsair/PCS drive. You will find enormous benefit from having the OS on the fastest drive available, but you will get far less advantage from having games etc there: it will still be much faster than an HDD.

Most of us on this forum would consider the ideal setup to be:
  • 500GB super-fast SSD for the OS
  • 1TB fast SSD for games
  • 1+TB cheap HDD for everything where speed isn't an issue, or for archive stuff.
Storage is very much a personal thing (I know how I organise my files, but I don't know what you do), but I'd rather have 500GB 970+1TB Corsair+HDD to 1TB 980 + HDD (and if you can make the 500GB drive a 980, even better, obvs).

Ash_

Master Poster
An ssd as a games drive isn’t even a luxury for me, it’s a must and it is well worth having - even if it is just the pcs one.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
An ssd as a games drive isn’t even a luxury for me, it’s a must and it is well worth having - even if it is just the pcs one.
Completely agree. I would always have my games on an SSD, even a SATA if budget was a serious concern, but quite frankly, M2's aren't much more expensive than SATA SSD's nowadays anyway.

Either way though, would have to be an SSD for games.

Ash_

Master Poster
Completely agree. I would always have my games on an SSD, even a SATA if budget was a serious concern, but quite frankly, M2's aren't much more expensive than SATA SSD's nowadays anyway.

Either way though, would have to be an SSD for games.
The quality of life upgrade is fantastic.