Does this sound a good deal?

baukaw

Im getting a second hand pc off a mate of mine and want toknow if the price is approximately sound right, please advise.

Motherboard (MATX AM2+),
Processor (AMD 2.2 TRI CORE PHENOM)
NVIDIA GTX 275
4GB Memory (CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2)
MID RANG TOWER (UNKNOWN)
120 GB HDD (small I know)
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM
A few games installed and Windows installed with drivers etc

There is no PSU and I have to buy one but he wants £340 - what you think on the price?

Cheers,
Kit

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
expensive for second hand

for £400 this is much better

Case
COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE

Processor (CPU)
AMD ATHLON II X2 260 (3.20GHz/2MB CACHE/AM3)

Motherboard
ASUS® M5A78L-M/USB3: M-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s

Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 520 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply
350W Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options
4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days

i dont really know what the 275 is like but sounds very old and if you can afford it i think youd be much better off with a 560 or something on this rig

Rakk

The Awesome
120 GB HDD (small I know)

There is no PSU and I have to buy one but he wants £340 - what you think on the price?

The fact that you'd have to get a PSU and another hard drive (cos lets face it 120GB isn't going to last too long even for people who don't use much hard drive space) would make this seem overpriced to me.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I agree with rakk and wozza. All my alarm bells are ringing here, the lack of psu? where is it? those components are pretty outdated. Do not buy this pc. It breaks me when I see people potentially getting ripped off buying computers/laptops.

Also there may are any underlying problems that you do not know about, he's not going to tell you as he wants a a quick sell.
Why is he selling the pc? What would you want to do with the pc? Why is there no psu?

AVOID!

Save up some cash, decide what you need a pc for ie college/uni work, gaming, multimedia, video/photo editing what ever it may be. Then ask on here what kinda spec would suit which ever budget you have. Then do your research (check in stores, compare specs, ask for details, but do not buy from pc world/currys/comet) I'd suggest buying from pcs, brand new up to date components at a very good price, custom built by pro's.

Tom

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I just sold my mate my old pc which is similar spec to this and sold it fro £140, obviously sold it a little cheaper cus hes a mate but still I couldnt see myself asking someone for more than £200 for mine. The main difference was that it had a PSU and a 500GB Western Digital hard drive.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Second hand PCs are a false economy (like Smart Price bin bags). For not much more, you get a brand new rig with no history to worry about. Second hand parts can be fine when looking to upgrade etc, but as a whole, you are never going to get your monies worth from an old right, from a friend or not. (Unless of course its free, but then you really have to ask whats wrong with it! :D )

baukaw

Hi guys,

regarding the lack of psu, my mate im getting it from has one in their but wants to keep it. ive seen the pc running games yesterday and it seems fine so there is no hidden agenda from the sellers point of view.

Same with the HDD, he wants to keep this too.

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you not think that with the gtx 275 it is worthwhile??

cheers.

Rakk

The Awesome
I still think its overpriced.
As Frenchy said he sold one of very similar spec, and would have sold it for about 200 (though he sold it for less cos it was to a friend).
Theres a huge difference between 200 and 340 + PSU+ another HDD

JSG10

Expert
Defintely avoid. I sold my old rig which was superior in every aspect to that one for £250 and that included a monitor!
He's out to make as much money as possible, which I can't really blame him for, but who ever buys it at that price is getting severely ripped off.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Defintely avoid. I sold my old rig which was superior in every aspect to that one for £250 and that included a monitor!
He's out to make as much money as possible, which I can't really blame him for, but who ever buys it at that price is getting severely ripped off.

I wouldnt say hes deffinately out to make as much money as possible, its just a lack of willigness to accept that the decent hardware you may have paid a lot for is no longer worth mcuh at all. When i first went to sell mine I was thinking about £350, but after doing a bit of research of current prices of those components I had to dropmy price. This wasnt because I wanted to con someone out of their money, its just because I hadnt quite realised hwo much it had devalued.

Serendipity

Enthusiast
Ahhh Frenchy, you got in there before I could.

Totally agree though, problem with technology is that most of it devalues much quickly than other things, so it's not really something you can invest in. It's easy to not know the current market when it comes to selling second-hand computers.

JSG10

Expert
I wasn't saying he was trying to con someone, I said he's out to make as much as possible.
I think thats a fair statement, I know when I sell something I want to get as much as I possibly can for it, thats not to say I would willingly and knowingly con someone but I'd like to make a profit if possible!

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
avoiiiiiiiiiiiid

i got a PC for £150

radeon 7000 (lol)

1gb RAM (upgraded to 2)

80gb HDD

dual core intel xeon 2.8ghz (the selling point)

this was back in 2007, I had problems with it but didn't have to replace anything apart from the dvd drive.

so sometimes you can score lucky with 2nd hand pcs but seriously

dont do it xD

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i think just about anyone would be better off without this one

and some people prefer not to give away computers or even throw them away, as a lot of people wouldnt even know what a hard drive is, how to get it out and the fact it is the only thing that holds data

Tony1951

Silver Level Poster
I would use eraser to make sure that no info was on drive. surely selling them or giving them away is just the same as regards hard drive. I would only give to friends and family