drag and drop problem

glenm

Hello I have an old pc on win7 I bought second hand some years ago. It all worked fine for years but one of the dvd drives started playing up a few months ago.The drive struggled to read discs to start with then seemed to fail.
As there were two of them I removed one and the other worked for a while but then started showing the same problems.I thought the drive was past it so I replaced this old ide drive with a new sata one.Alas this has changed nothing !I can read some dvd s but have one which it wont read,I can read this disk in my partners laptop though.
Also the main problem is it wont let me drag and drop from audio cds,a red circle appears with a line through it when I try.the writer will play audio cds and I can burn from my c drive,also I can not drag and drop audio from cds dvds i.e. dropping a drum loop from a disk onto a DAW.
When I got the pc one drive was set to read and the other to write.Both were ide.
I have tried windows trouble shooting it says everything is working o.k. I have tried different burning software which supports this no better.I have checked the box which says digital for both read and write and all the burner settings I can find nothing makes any difference.It is as if the drive is not set to do everything as I am not too savy any help will be appreciated
Glen

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You need to reinstall windows, this is window degradation. Whilst you’re at it, you know windows 7 is out of support in a couple of months? If it’s connected to the internet I would highly recommend upgrading to windows 10, but do a full reinstall rather than an upgrade in place.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Not on a sticker on the back of the PC / underside of the laptop?

See also:

There may be software like Belarc Advisor that can tell you what the key is (though it doesn't always work on off-the-shelf PCs)

If you have a Win 7 licence you can download Win 7 for free direct from MS

Note if you have a valid Win 7 licence you may be able to upgrade to Win 10 for free:

You can download Windows 10 direct from MS:

glenm

I got a fresh copy of win 7 from ms and installed it new the dvd writer read the dvd i put windows on and it installed ok but the same problems persist ! i.e. wont drag and drop from audio cd won"t read some dvd"s etc !!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Was it a clean install? i.e. did you delete all partitions on the OS drive (which deletes what's already on the drive) before installing Windows again? The option to do so is during the installation process.

glenm

I chose the clean install at the start there were no previous partitions but it created a new one, also there was a folder called old windows which had my files in .
I don" know fpr certain when this problem started but it seems to be after my cmos battery failed it was a while until I could replace it as I didn" twig at first !

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I chose the clean install at the start there were no previous partitions but it created a new one, also there was a folder called old windows which had my files in .
I don" know fpr certain when this problem started but it seems to be after my cmos battery failed it was a while until I could replace it as I didn" twig at first !
That hasn't clean installed then.

To clean install you have to manually delete ALL partitions from the installation directory and then create a new one.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster

In short, during the installation process there is the option for a custom / advanced install. Select that. And delete all partitions on the operating system drive.

(obviously you'll lose any data on there, so back it up first if you didn't already).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The 'Windows.old' folder indicates that you have upgraded your version of Windows at some time. This folder will be used if you ever decide to regress back to the original version of Windows. Upgrading-in-place like this is known to causes issues for many users and across all versions of Windows and this may well be the root cause of the problems you were having with drag and drop etc.

A completely clean install is the only way forward and, as Oussebon has advised, you should choose a custom install and delete all partitions on your system drive. Select (ie. highlight) the 'unallocated space' that results and then click the Next button. The installer will create the appropriate partition structure and install Windows. Once Windows is installed be sure to install ALL updates (there will be a lot for Windows 7) and install ALL the latest drivers (it's wise to find and download those to a USB stick before you start).

glenm

I have booted the computer from the dvd bit the next screen which should be black with loading windows files on does not appear instead I have the normal windows 7 blue page as if its booted normally.I changed the boot order to dvd first in the bios before attempting to boot.

glenm

When this loads it first goes to password .I have attempted this from both restart and shutting the computer down manually and starting again

glenm

Hello all I have now put win7 on a new memory stick changed the bios and attempted to boot several times I just get a black screen with a flashing white prompt int the upper left corner of the screen nothing asking me to press any key.If Ipress a key nothing happens !!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello all I have now put win7 on a new memory stick changed the bios and attempted to boot several times I just get a black screen with a flashing white prompt int the upper left corner of the screen nothing asking me to press any key.If Ipress a key nothing happens !!
How are you putting windows 7 on the USB? It sounds like the USB isn't bootable?

glenm

I copied the iso file I have downloaded from ms across from download folder on a laptop. does the usb stick need to be set up somehow?

glenm

I managed to clean install win 7 as shown in the link deleted the old partitions etc it all installed fine unfortunately it has not solved the original problems still can not drag and drop from audio CD and the DVD-RW will not read and install from some software discs but will recognise tracks on a cd and play them. It is a new dvd writer and other functions on the pc seem fine!!