driver problem or faulty graphics card

slaps98

hi guys need some help
ive just installed a graphics card in my pc and as soon as windows loads up there are things missing from the desktop, then as soon as I move the mouse my pc crashes to a blue screen telling my that nvlddmkm.sys is the problem, which is to do with the graphics drivers I thought. I have now tried 15 different drivers but I get the same thing with them all so im now wondering if its a faulty graphics card. is there anything I can do to find out weather it drivers or card.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Hmm, it could be a card issue if you have tried the drivers already. Are you doing a clean installation of the drivers? ie uninstalling em first?

What I would try is re seating the card. To do this you start by popping off the side panel of the case, ground yourself on a bare metal part of the case, undo the screws that hold the card to the chassis, reach under the card and see if their is a tab holding the GPU in place, if so depress it and gently lift the card out. Now line it back up again and insert it firmly into the slot, redo the screws and power up.

If that isn't working then it could even be a windows problem, you could try a reinstallation of the OS before sending the card back to PCS.

slaps98

yes I have done clean installs for all the drivers I have tried and ive tried them from the nvidia 335.23 all the way back to the 320 ones. ive even tried the card in the second and third pci-e slots and its the same every time.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Hmm, well do you fancy a clean installation of windows? Tech support might ask you to do one before arranging an RMA anyway. That's the last thing it could reasonably be apart from drivers or faulty card.

slaps98

ive reinstalled the os about a week ago and its been fine with my old card in it its just when I plug the new card in if I take the new card out and put the old one back in it works fine.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Had you tried the card before the reinstallation? it is just possible that something when wrong with the installation and worth doing a fresh install to rule that out.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
ive reinstalled the os about a week ago and its been fine with my old card in it its just when I plug the new card in if I take the new card out and put the old one back in it works fine.

I presume the old and new cards are identical then? If not then from the scenario you describe you are trying to run the new card with the drivers for the old card still installed. That could well be your problem.