dual monitors set up

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hello,
I am trying to set up dual monitor for gaming but I am finding it difficult to work. The problem I have is that when I am loading a game only 1 screen shows the game, the other just remains in windows (freezes). In windows I am able to open 2 different windows and use both screens but the issue is just when I am trying to play games, however I have only tested it with resident evil 5. I think I am only able to set up nvidia surround when I have 3 monitors, is this correct? Any help would be appreciated.
Capture6.PNGphoto.jpg

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Pretty sure you cant span with two monitors,
you will only have the option to expand or duplicate,
far as I know you need three monitors to use Nvidia surround.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Damn!!! I was afraid of that but though it will be ok to run 2 monitors. If I have a 3rd monitor I assume the option "spam display with surround" will become available? Also the dvi-d cable (I think that is the one?) may not be long enough to connect to the pc, any ideas on what cable would be suitable for the 3rd monitor?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I tested Battlefield 3 and Resident Evil 5 but as stated before the game only appears in 1 screen. I assume that once I run nvidia surround I will not get any more issues with either of those games?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
With 3 monitors you should have the option In Nvidia control panel to
span displays,
and you should have no problem using the HDMI cable.

Last edited:

morowe

Bronze Level Poster
There is a program something like multi bars that add an extra task bar to the second screen. it also adds new buttons where the maximize and minimize buttons are that move or stretch the screen.

This is not ideal and for most games wont work but the stretch button would fit some games across both screens.

yet again i stress this isn't ideal, but it will work with a couple things an is at least an idea :p.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
personally i think dual screens is a bad idea for gaming, because you'll be looking at a gap when aiming whereas 3 means that you'll still use 1 main screen (you can just look further round)

one thing i think you can do is putting the scoreboard on the other screen, that will give it something to do

keynes

Multiverse Poster
personally i think dual screens is a bad idea for gaming, because you'll be looking at a gap when aiming whereas 3 means that you'll still use 1 main screen (you can just look further round)

one thing i think you can do is putting the scoreboard on the other screen, that will give it something to do

I agree, however I wanted to wait a while to get a 3rd monitor. It is a bit frustrating but I think once the surround is set up then it will look good.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I am getting the 3rd monitor tomorrow or Monday depending on how reliable YODEL is with delivery. I attempted to use 3D surround by connecting an additional HDMI cable to one of the 2 monitors I set up and on Windows it looked fine, obviously the 3rd monitor was not visible and there was a big gap. I, however, had problems when testing battlefield 3. I was unable to make the 3D work on the monitors, I'd like to know if anyone has attempted to set up 3D surround and play games in 3D. I try to get some infor from Nvidia forums but the instructions provided are dated 2010, some options to set up 3D are just not available anymore on the Nvidia control panel. Any help will be appreciated.