Duff DVD drive...i think?

ghosthunter

Hi

I think my DVD drive has packed up! I put a CD in and usually it auto runs and pops up as a drive in windows but this morning I popped a CD in the drive and nothing. The Drive whurred and made the usual noises but nothing came up in windows and nothing else happened, the CD just stops.

Is it likely to be the DVD drive or Windows? Also what do i need to do next. I really don't want to pack up the computer again and send it back to pay more in carriage than a new DVD player.

PC is about 6 months old and the DVD hardly get's used.

Thanks

steaky360

Was your PC from PCS? What warranty did you go for? (if its Silver or higher PCS will cover the costs of postage!)

Does the drive know a disc is in it? If you go to my computer can you see that a CD is inserted? Might be worth trying to update your drivers.

ghosthunter

It is a PCS pc (and a brilliant one too!) and nothing comes up in My computer to show either a D: Drive or cd in the drive, there's nothing at all. I don't know how to see what dvd player i have or how to update the drivers!!!!??!?!?

Any help would be much appreciated. It was fine last night but this morning...nowt!

steaky360

If you go to device management is it still there?

1. Click the Start button to view the Start Menu and then choose the Control Panel option.
2. Now click the System and Security link from this window.
3. The System and Security section of Control Panel opens up and you can see the direct link for the Device Manager.
4. Click on the Device Manager and window opens up.

You should see your DVD drive under DVD/CD Rom Drives

Devicemanager_Win7_2.jpg

Edit: Additionally, if you cant get it working this evening its always worth giving PCS tech support a ring. They might be able to sort it out over the phone!

Last edited:

ghosthunter

In the device manager i found the DVD drive, it had a yellow warning triangle on it. I tried to update the drivers but it said that what i had was the latest up to date drivers. Is the DVD knackered?

ghosthunter

It says:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

I have just uninstalled the drivers and re-installed them...still got the same error

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
It says:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Start Registry Editor Click Start, type regedit in the quick search, and then click the regedit icon in the search results. Registry Editor starts.

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters\LowerFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM
3. Expand ControlSet001
4. Expand Control
5. Expand Class
6. Search for the key {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and left click on it, bringing the values up on the right
In the right hand pane (topic area), you may have Upperfilters, Lowerfilters or both, click UpperFilters if you have it, and delete it, if you have LowerFilters as well, delete this also. If you only have one of the two, just delete that one, don't worry about the one that isn't there.

steaky360

Might be worth trying to uninstall the CD/DVD drive and then 'scanning for new hardware'
Silly question but have you tried rebooting (can work wonders sometimes :))

If not, from what I can find about that problem the following seems to work

Step 1: Start Registry Editor

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
Expand Control, and then expand Class.
Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click UpperFilters.
Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only.
If you see the UpperFilters registry entry in the details pane of Registry Editor, go to step 6.
If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to "Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry."
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
Click Yes when you receive the following message: Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The UpperFilters registry entry is removed.

Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click LowerFilters.
Note You might see a LowerFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click LowerFilters only.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
Click Yes when you receive the following message: Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed.
Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart your computer

Edit:

Do what Vanthus Suggested - The man's a genious

ghosthunter

You guy's are geniuses!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I'll copy and paste that info for future reference.

Champion!

All the best

Andy the Ghosthunter!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You guy's are geniuses!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I'll copy and paste that info for future reference.

Champion!

All the best

Andy the Ghosthunter!
I actually learned that from a PCS guy a while back,think it was JakAttack or PaulH,glad it worked for you.

Sgt Peeper

This doesn't work for me - any other suggestions?

I actually learned that from a PCS guy a while back,think it was JakAttack or PaulH,glad it worked for you.

Read your thread with interest as I've been having the exact same problem. Sadly this fix didn't work - can you suggest where I might have gone wrong? Or any other solutions?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Read your thread with interest as I've been having the exact same problem. Sadly this fix didn't work - can you suggest where I might have gone wrong? Or any other solutions?

Any help gratefully appreciated.
Are you getting the same error code "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
in driver properties in device manager.

Sgt Peeper

Are you getting the same error code "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
in driver properties in device manager.

No, I've not had that particular message - Windows seems to think it's working ok. I've previously reinstalled the driver and tried uninstalling it and restarting but to no avail so I thought I'd try regedit.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
The fix posted only works for that error unfortunately.
It looks to me like you may need to invest in a new optical drive.