Emails.

PokerFace

Banned
This morning I received an Email "Scot Powell order confirmation"
If anyone receives an Email like this don't open it,delete it immediately,it's another one from the current zbot runs which try to drop cryptolocker, ransomware and loads of other malware on your computer.
Some information about it here,
http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/order-confirmation-ferryfast-co-uk-fake-pdf-malware/

No way! No how! No Sir Ree Bob! am I clicking that link above! :)

Thanks vanthus :)

P.S. Is it possible to get a virus/trojan etc. from just opening an email, or do you have to open it and then click on an attachment or a link inside the email?

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace

P.S. Is it possible to get a virus/trojan etc. from just opening an email, or do you have to open it and then click on an attachment or a link inside the email?
I don't think you can get a virus just by opening an Email,pretty sure you would need to click on a link or attachment,but I' not certain about that.I did in fact open the Email,it had a zip file attachment.
if you see anything like this though my advice would be to delete it without opening the Email.
The link I posted is fine :) it's just a site that gives advice on online security.

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I used to worry about opening dodgy emails. The way that some email clients used to work, when you delete an email that you have open, it would open the next one, convinced me that nothing can happen by simply opening it, or else you'd be screwed over by your email provider! That said, still wouldnt open dodgy ones of course :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster

99% don't do anything if you open them, probably 99.99%. however some will exploit a bug with (for example) the way jpegs are handled and a while back someone did do that. So just opening an email and seeing a picture was enough to get you screwed

PokerFace

Banned
I don't think you can get a virus just by opening an Email,pretty sure you would need to click on a link or attachment,but I' not certain about that.I did in fact open the Email,it had a zip file attachment.
if you see anything like this though my advice would be to delete it without opening the Email.
The link I posted is fine :) it's just a site that gives advice on online security.

I tend to look at the email address of the sender, if it looks dodgy I just block the address.

I used to worry about opening dodgy emails. The way that some email clients used to work, when you delete an email that you have open, it would open the next one, convinced me that nothing can happen by simply opening it, or else you'd be screwed over by your email provider! That said, still wouldnt open dodgy ones of course :)

99% don't do anything if you open them, probably 99.99%. however some will exploit a bug with (for example) the way jpegs are handled and a while back someone did do that. So just opening an email and seeing a picture was enough to get you screwed

Thanks guys.

Personally I usually just delete any email that's not from a person or company that I recognize. Even if I get one from a company I recognize, like Barclays or something, if I haven't got an account or any business with them, then I just delete it.