Enigma III 540 - Build Quality

Eli

I am more than happy with the spec and price. I am just worried about the quality of the casing itself, what its like to type on, plastic or metal etc and I couldn't find any info on those details. I'm choosing between the enigma and a modified Vaio C series. (The C series looks amazing, which is why I would like to know about the Enigma).
For everything else the Engima beats the Vaio hands down!

Many thanks if anyone can help :)
eli.

Chassis & Display
Enigma III 540: 15.6" Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glossy
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-2520M (2.50GHz) 3MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC, MS)
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & INTEL® CENTRINO® ADVANCED-N 6230 inc BLUETOOTH
USB Options
1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
2 x Enigma III Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,100/5,200 mAh) (£39)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

SteveB

Gold Level Poster
Hi Eli,

I am having the same dilema, the specs look good but the case looks like a standerd plastic case no isolated keys but does have a seperate number pad thingy

I think I'll wait to see what the optimus III has to offer else I'm gonna have to go over kill for my needs and go for the vortex II but I dont really wanna spend that much so come on guy's convince us lol or if any guy's have bought the enigma III can you let us know your opinions

JonnyPx

Gold Level Poster
Yeah, me too! I really like the spec of this laptop. A dell XPS 15 is about £30 cheaper, but with this one, you get a full hd screen and 2gb more memory for my spec. But I know the XPS has good build quality, and I want to know what the build quality, especially the quality of the screen and keyboard is!

pez

I wouldn't even bother with a Dell purely based on Customer Support, or lack of. Irrelevant of cost :D

SteveB

Gold Level Poster
I wouldn't even bother with a Dell purely based on Customer Support, or lack of. Irrelevant of cost :D

Agree I have heard nothing but bad things about their customer support from friends who bought from Dell, I'm sure they do have some good feedback and I haven't heard any horror stories but all the same I won't use them, All helpfull and can't do enough for you when selling you the machine but then once youv parted with your cash its a struggle to get any resolution to any issue you have.

Thats why I will only buy from PCS as I think they understand that its not just selling you the machine that is important but the after sales plays a huge role in a companys rep and getting repeat custom and untill they let this slip (please don't) I will def be a repeat customer.

JonnyPx

Gold Level Poster
Well I have seen reviews for the specific XPS I like and they are mostly good, and I have been a customer of dell for a few years now and have had no problems. I just want to know, as the OP said, what the construction/quality of the case/screen and keyboard esp. is!

pr1s0ner

The 540 is a good quality machine, although the case is plastic and not really comparable to the Vaio, pound for pound its better spec'ed, and definitely worth considering. Good quality screen and decent battery life

totomas

Thanks for the feedback. It is just that from the pictures, the case looks very poor compared to the Optimus, but the 15' size is more what I am after.

pr1s0ner

Its not a rugged, throw around the workshop machine, but its good quality and ought to survive plenty of knocks :)

spiridon

Hi,
I received my Enigma III yesterday. To answer the question on build quality is that this is a solid machine, the case is well constructed and neat. The Enigma III is a nice piece of kit. The boot time for this laptop running windows 7 64 bit is 28 seconds including the time taken to log on as well. This machine is fitted with a 250 GB SSD drive though.

Steve