[Enigma IV] Close to pulling the trigger, anything I should know?

tom6561

Gold Level Poster
Chassis & Display
Enigma Series: 14" Matte FHD IPS Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core® M Dual Core Processor 5Y10C (2 x 2.00GHz Turbo) 4MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
8GB LPDDR3 1600MHz LOW PROFILE SOLDERED (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELERATOR 5300
mSATA/M.2 SSD Drive
128GB M.2 2242 NGFF SSD (upto 535MB/sR | 153MB/sW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 2 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
WIRELESS 802.11N CARD + Bluetooth 4.0 (AW-NB165NF)
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Enigma Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (10,000mAh)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 24W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language
ENIGMA SERIES INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £483.00 including VAT and delivery.

Stephen M

Author Level
What are the intended uses, looks a good laptop but without knowing uses difficult to judge. If you are taking the trial MS Office you may like to have a try with Libre Office as well (https://www.libreoffice.org/), it is open source freeware and does all that MS Office does but will save you the cost after the 30 days MS are over.

tom6561

Gold Level Poster
Oh yes, probably should have given more detail. It's for taking up to university, just for office work and watching Netflix etc. Any gaming is done on my desktop. I already have a copy of office etc, just left all the trials as default and will probably get rid of those actually. I'll update that.

Stephen M

Author Level
I think students have access to cheaper versions of Windows OS, worth checking as that may save a few quid.

swatboy79

tom6561, did you get one in the end, i REALLY want one, just would love to see a review.
Any TDP issues where the cpu thottles?

tom6561

Gold Level Poster
Should be arriving tomorrow according to DPD. I should be in unless it comes late afternoon (which I suppose it inevitably will). I'll let you know first impressions and probably do a proper review after using it over the weekend.

swatboy79

I have stopped my order for now until I see a review. If you could take a photo with the back off, really intersted to see why it is limited to a 22mmx40mm m.2 ssd drive.
Really keen to hear about the audio performance too as it has 4 speakers below the keyboard. If you say the sound is really good it will definitely sway me.

Cheers
Wes

tom6561

Gold Level Poster
I'll look into those two for you in that case. I'll just paste a short roundup from somebody I was talking to elsewhere that got his a week ago:

"Laptop is superb.
If you select the no OS option, you get a trial of win10. No driver disk included, but all you need to find is the network controller and windows does the rest, if that's your OS of choice.
BIOS is basic, but hey, that's it's name right? Easy to use boot menu.
Gaming wise, I tested Dota 2, Portal 2 and Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. The first 2 had to be lowered to 720p to make them average 45 FPS with most settings turned to medium/low. BoI ran at a solid 60 FPS with only a few dips at 1080p. After gaming for 20 minutes, you could feel the laptop heating up a little bit, but it was nothing to worry about.
The screen is crispy, looks very nice with only minor backlight bleed in the lower left. Only visible if you have a high brightness on an all black screen. Nice viewing angles. Speakers are mediocre, but acceptable. Keyboard is average, nice layout and no stupid functions instead of F keys. Touchpad is responsive, feels accurate. You'll need a mini-HDMI cable to use the port on the side. The USB ports are tight, I'd be cautious if using a flimsy memory stick. Battery life seems reasonable, I think the "up to 7.5 hours" is accurate.
Didn't notice any lag or slowdown when browsing the web, watching YouTube, etc. Overall I'm very impressed."

tom6561

Gold Level Poster
I've had the laptop for about an hour now! Arrived well packaged etc. The build quality seems pretty nice, lots of metal and brushed aluminium which looks good, and it is ridiculously light and thin. I haven't done anything taxing yet on it, just installed office and that sort of thing, but going round in windows and online, through spotify is snappy and responsive. I've had a very brief listen to the speakers and to be honest, I'm not very impressed by them. That being said the ones on my Skyfire II were very good for laptop speakers, and I have proper home cinema type speakers and nice headphones, so my baseline is pretty high. I'd say they're pretty average for a laptop. I haven't taken the back off, but I'd suggest that it's simply too thin to fit a standard 2.5mm drive in. I'll get some photos later when I get back from uni. Any other general questions I should be able to answer!

swatboy79

Thanks Tom, I guess no laptop ever had perfect speakers, does the sound come from the keyboard (someone at PS told me they are built under the keyboard?)

The question regarding the SSD not a 2.5" drive but rather M.2. They come 3 lengths 42mm, 60mm and 80mm (some other sizes too). The website suggests it only supports 42mm.
The reason why I ask is there is far more variety of size and speed to upgrade to in M2 60mm and 80mm, and cheaper, hence one of the reasons why I want to see a pic of the inside.
This way I could purchase a 64GB and know that I can upgrade easily.

REF: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Overview-of-M-2-SSDs-586/#Physicalsizeandconnectors

Two other main questions are:
Keyboard (How is the travel depth and general feeling?)
Trackpad (How responsive is the pad (cursor movement and tapping) and how clicky is it, if you click it?)

Thanks again for your responses, you'll be the first with some info regarding the Enigma VI. :)

Last edited:

tom6561

Gold Level Poster
Yes the sound does come from below the keyboard, which is a bit odd but doesn't really matter in my opinion.

Ah right I see what you mean, I've not really looked into that form factor in the past. I would suggest you ask PCS by email. I'd prefer not to open mine up just because I hate the plastic clips and really don't want to end up breaking one straight away.

The travel on the keyboard is pretty minimal - if you can see the depth of the keys in the photo that's pretty much it, so only 2-3mm. The feel is alright, I'm still getting used to it but I think after a few days or so it should be pretty nice.

The trackpad is good actually, tapping response is nice and the clicking is just the right amount of force for me. The only niggle I had is that the buttons are part of the trackpad, so you can't rest your fingers on them, but that's something I'll get over quickly I think.

tom6561

Gold Level Poster
Yes the sound does come from below the keyboard, which is a bit odd but doesn't really matter in my opinion.

Ah right I see what you mean, I've not really looked into that form factor in the past. I would suggest you ask PCS by email. I'd prefer not to open mine up just because I hate the plastic clips and really don't want to end up breaking one straight away.

The travel on the keyboard is pretty minimal - if you can see the depth of the keys in the photo that's pretty much it, so only 2-3mm. The feel is alright, I'm still getting used to it but I think after a few days or so it should be pretty nice.

The trackpad is good actually, tapping response is nice and the clicking is just the right amount of force for me. The only niggle I had is that the buttons are part of the trackpad, so you can't rest your fingers on them, but that's something I'll get over quickly I think.