Evolution Continues - Lian Li O11Dynamic EVO

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
There's a new Case in town! The O11D EVO, looks like an O11D but you can mount the GPU just about anywhere! Jokes aside, it looks great and has more features than that, including a reversable chassis đź‘€

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There's a new Case in town! The O11D EVO, looks like an O11D but you can mount the GPU just about anywhere! Jokes aside, it looks great and has more features than that, including a reversable chassis đź‘€

That's actually really cool that you can change the chassis layout. I always have to have my pc on the right hand side as glass panel is always facing left but I'd much prefer it the other side.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That's a builders dream that case. No doubt it'll perform well too. Could make a proper showpiece with that :D

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Watched this build guide earlier:

My head hurt trying to follow all the variations you could have in the case layout and fixings. I did like the vertical upright GPU install, would definitely make your build stand out

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
2FBB3B9D-382A-4DFD-B3C6-1BFB7D4A9C46.gif

Anyone want to buy a Corsair 4000X? Lightly used, one careful (and handsome) owner.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Also a review from Jay:

Watched this build guide earlier:

My head hurt trying to follow all the variations you could have in the case layout and fixings. I did like the vertical upright GPU install, would definitely make your build stand out
I've always thought of the o11D series as rather overhyped (until the air mini which I really quite like) so very interested to watch these!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The O11D is nothing new really, my case is the PC09 which took over the PC08, they're really just earlier models of the O11D, then within the O11D range, there are so many different models.

But Lian Li really are ahead of the curve, and most other high end cases are copied from their designs, the Corsair Crystals for instance.

I just adore Lian Li's build quality, once you've owned one, it's hard to look at other cases. They are just beautifully made. And another bonus is they make a lot of the connectors and panels modular. So for instance the USB ports on my case which are old USB 2's I think, can be swapped out for current gen USB C's. I'm pretty sure they do that on the O11D range also.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
The O11D is nothing new really, my case is the PC09 which took over the PC08, they're really just earlier models of the O11D, then within the O11D range, there are so many different models.

But Lian Li really are ahead of the curve, and most other high end cases are copied from their designs, the Corsair Crystals for instance.

I just adore Lian Li's build quality, once you've owned one, it's hard to look at other cases. They are just beautifully made. And another bonus is they make a lot of the connectors and panels modular. So for instance the USB ports on my case which are old USB 2's I think, can be swapped out for current gen USB C's. I'm pretty sure they do that on the O11D range also.
Related tech question: What about the different (vertical and upright) mounts for the GPU, are you likely to encounter any issues from a tech standpoint? Corsair, for example, offer a PCIe 3.0 extension cable for that but my tiny brain is struggling to comprehend what difference (if any) in throughput would make with a GPU and a motherboard with PCIe 4.0. You’re much better with the minutiae on this, please enlighten me.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Related tech question: What about the different (vertical and upright) mounts for the GPU, are you likely to encounter any issues from a tech standpoint? Corsair, for example, offer a PCIe 3.0 extension cable for that but my tiny brain is struggling to comprehend what difference (if any) in throughput would make with a GPU and a motherboard with PCIe 4.0. You’re much better with the minutiae on this, please enlighten me.
This is something that needs to be looked into more, I haven't actually watched the reviews above yet, but will do when I get some time.

Previously vertically mounting the GPU on a tempered glass side panel was a huge no no as it severely compromised the airflow to the GPU. But Lian Li wouldn't have settled for that. If they've made it that much of a choice, they will have worked out a way to optimise airflow despite the layout. I'm sure there will be some impact, but hopefully not much.

With regard to signal throughput through a riser cable, again, I'm not too sure, but I can't see it being an issue, but would have to read up on it.

I've always considered vertical mounting a no no until this point.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
With regard to signal throughput through a riser cable, again, I'm not too sure, but I can't see it being an issue, but would have to read up on it.

I've always considered vertical mounting a no no until this point.
Please give us some knowledge base goodness if you make any discoveries, I’d be interested to be educated on such matters.

The 4000X comes with the ability to vertical mount but when I held my GPU in the proposed position it was about 8mm away from the glass side panel. That immediately put me off considering it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The 4000X comes with the ability to vertical mount but when I held my GPU in the proposed position it was about 8mm away from the glass side panel. That immediately put me off considering it.
That's generally the concensus.

I'm really interested to see how Lian Li have addressed this.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Please give us some knowledge base goodness if you make any discoveries, I’d be interested to be educated on such matters.

So they have approached it differently to most other (all?) manufacturers with the vertical option

Rather than just flipping the existing mounting bracket 90 degrees and then using that to mount the card vertically, you actually move the mount bracket in towards the inner inside wall of the case, so it means you've got far more space between the GPU and the glass panel, and the other wall is vented anyway so still loads of airflow.

Jay says that it doesn't state if it's PCIe3 or 4 riser cables, but "at least" PCIe 3. And I almost guarantee that if they are only PCIe 3, Lian Li will release an updated version that's PCIe 4 compatible if that's ever required for GPU throughput.

Also, Der Bauer's name is on this case also, he's one of the ultimate proponents of good airflow and overclocking, and he for sure wouldn't have put his name to this if it wasn't effective.

BUT and this is where I think it would really appeal to you @AgentCooper, jay actually shows it with a FE 3000 series card. Skip to 19:51

The UPRIGHT gpu mounting option (which is an additional modular cost), you can have it right in front of a bank of fans blowing straight onto the GPU, so temps will be insanely good and OMG does it look good with a FE!!!

That is a seriously cool case. 3 mounting options for GPU, 2 mounting options for PSU, entire case configuration options, additional modular IO bays, you can actually have the whole motherboard and internal configuration inversed, crazy fan options, plus banks of HDD and SSD setup options, while all the time having really functional cable routing channels. That's aside from custom loop options.

That's just seriously cool.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
We have a Tom’s Hardware review in which is pretty comprehensive and answers some of our questions…

The add-on kits for the various GPU mounts are individually priced (vertical being the more expensive, naturally) and the included riser cable is… PCIe 4.0!

You’ve knocked it out of the park with this one, Lian Li.