Expensive Weekend Experiment

pr1s0ner

I wanted to get my kids to put together their own PC's (struck me as a useful thing to be able to do, and they could do with new computers). So gave them a budget and sent them off to get the bits for a new PC.

One has gone Intel with Nvidia graphics, and the other AMD/ATI. It was looking fairly even... but having just unlocked 2 cores on the was X2 now X4 3.1 AMD processor, I'm starting to think its going to be a pretty tasty PC! and the AMD setup was £20 cheaper.
Going to get a few games loaded so I can get a better picture, but so far for a £300 ish pc my money is on AMD

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I wanted to get my kids to put together their own PC's (struck me as a useful thing to be able to do, and they could do with new computers). So gave them a budget and sent them off to get the bits for a new PC.

One has gone Intel with Nvidia graphics, and the other AMD/ATI. It was looking fairly even... but having just unlocked 2 cores on the was X2 now X4 3.1 AMD processor, I'm starting to think its going to be a pretty tasty PC! and the AMD setup was £20 cheaper.
Going to get a few games loaded so I can get a better picture, but so far for a £300 ish pc my money is on AMD

Great idea getting them to build pcs :), I remember building my first pc at about 12yrs old and been building them since.

I think my wallet would prefer to be your wallet this weekend though :p its pretty annoyed at me right now for leaving it penniless lol.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Thats a good point, ill class mine as education too :D makes it very worth the money that way lol. To be honest mine is because im a game developer lol, but still my wallet postivley hates me right now lol.

pr1s0ner

My eldest has just found out that he left all the front case connectors off, and has wasted ages trying to work out why none of it was working, lol.
I felt a tad bad watching him struggle, hahahaha cruel to be kind

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
My eldest has just found out that he left all the front case connectors off, and has wasted ages trying to work out why none of it was working, lol.
I felt a tad bad watching him struggle, hahahaha cruel to be kind

Tbh I remember buying my computer parts about 10 years ago, was extremely excited because it was a big upgrade, the parts arrived while I was at school and I was looking forward to building it when I got home.

I arrived home to find my dad with my computer parts looking rather worried. Turns out hed tried to put it togtether (which he has done many times) but also decided id love to have it overclocked too haha, upped the voltages and blew the lot :(, i was not happy. Was ages before I got any new parts lol.