Fans profiles to keep noise to a minimum

bigben

Master Poster
Hi,
For some reason I've started being fussy about the noise that my desktop is making.
I've replaced all the case fans (and CPU fans ages ago) with 120mm and 140mm Bitfenix Spectre PROs (link), I've bought a new PSU with hybrid mode (which made a MASSIVE difference!), and my 2 Asus directCU II 670s are pretty much silent anyway.

Now I just need some help making some decent fan profiles for the case fans please. At the moment I have a NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller, but most of the time I can't be bothered monitoring the temps and adjusting fan speed accordingly (and auto mode has all the fans always spinning at a minimum of 40%). I'm considering changing to Asus fan xpert or a different fan controller but am open to suggestion of better software if available.

Ideally I would like the 140mm fans to only start when things are getting a little warmer as they are a quite a bit louder.

My current fan setup is shown in this fairly rubbish picture (the circled one is on the side panel):

Thanks

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Check out those pain skills, they really do rival mine!

I too am starting to get bothered by my PC's noise output, I don't know why really but I know exactly how you feel.

In my research I have come up with a similar list of possibilities to yourself, however in my case im going to be doing a total new build. Asus FanXpert 3 looks ace and it 'set and forget' though I'm not entirely sure you can have them off and only kick in under certain circumstances. Might be able to though, not something I have looked into yet.

Aside from what you have already listed as possibilities the only other thing I can think of is buy low noise adaptors. I don't think you will find anything better than fanxpert in terms of software.

I'm currently 50/50 to go down the motherboard or case with a fan controller fitted route. Both have advantages/disadvantages but im thinking FanXpert would be my own choice at the moment.

bigben

Master Poster
Thanks for the reply

Lol yea I'm amazing on paint.
Not seen anything about fan xpert 3 and could find anything either. Is it only available on newer motherboards?
Would a low noise adapter not reduce airflow? Don't really fancy that...

When I've got a bit of time (and can be bothered to mess about with cable management) I might try using fan xpert to see what I think.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
a Low noise adaptor reduces the RPM of your fan by introducing what is basically a resistor between the motherboard/fan controller and your fan. Therefor it is permanently lower RPM, so yes it would reduce airflow.

I think your best bet would be to use FanXpert, rev 3 is only available on the new z97 boards though. I just added that because im thinking of an upgrade (might be more dreaming, donno yet :D)

Your board only supports 4 fans, you have 5... You could use a splitter or you could connect only the 140mm fans to the motherboard and keep the rest on the controller?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
You say you have a fan controller already? If i so, i don't see the point in disconnecting the fans and connecting them to the motherboard. Why not just the voltage down with the controller?

bigben

Master Poster
You say you have a fan controller already? If i so, i don't see the point in disconnecting the fans and connecting them to the motherboard. Why not just the voltage down with the controller?

On auto mode it won't ever turn fans off and the 140mm fans are quite noisy even when only at 40% speed (which is the lowest my fan controller goes to).
I'm too lazy to monitor things myself. TBH not even sure why I bought the fan controller....

tom_gr7

Life Serving
lol, that sounds like a rubbish fan controller.

I'd personally, opt for a new one rather than trying to use the motherboard. I tried to use mine a few years ago, I just wanted to run all the fans at 100%. Couldn't get it sorted so opted for a fan controller.

I've had two lamptrons, the Fc8 and now the FC5 V3 (clicky)

I have them all paired up and most of the time I have 4 turned off, top 140's and bottom 120's. Tells me the speed of each fan, as well as the voltage and the temperature - if i installed the temp probes.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I tried to use mine a few years ago, I just wanted to run all the fans at 100%. Couldn't get it sorted so opted for a fan controller.

FanXpert 2 was pretty good, I think your motherboard only has the 1st iteration. Maybe that's why it sucked.