Firewire - check you haven't already got one before adding a card!

shades

Silver Level Poster
Thought I'd post this warning so that others don't get caught out in the way I did. I guess if I'd have done a bit more research I could have avoided this but oh well, it wasn't a particularly costly mistake.

Anyway, others might save themselves a few quid so....

Before you shell out extra cash on a firewire card make sure you're not already getting a firewire port anyway. I've only just noticed today that my motherboard came with a firewire port so I needn't actually have bought the extra card. I guess it would have been good had PCS said something along the lines of "you do realise... etc." but I suppose they can't cover every single angle and as I've said plenty of times already, over all their service is super.

As most desktops don't come with firewire these days I had just assumed that PCS' wouldn't either.

Anyway, hope this helps someone.

Gorman

Author Level
Its a good thing to check, if someone has selected a firewire card we would just assume they needed more ports than what their mobo supplied.

shades

Silver Level Poster
Yes, that's what I thought. As I said, no criticism of PCS intended. Others may make the same assumption though given the general lack of firewire on computers sold by high street stores.