Firewire on windows 10

Hi last year I invested in a new PC and one of the main reasons was to upload many hours of HDV video that I had shot over the last 12 years and although I have purchased and installed a firewire cars I cannot get this cars to work even though all indications show the card as working.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi last year I invested in a new PC and one of the main reasons was to upload many hours of HDV video that I had shot over the last 12 years and although I have purchased and installed a firewire cars I cannot get this cars to work even though all indications show the card as working.
Did you install drivers for the card?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Even if drivers are part of the windows update catalogue, they still have to be downloaded and installed.

If you go into device manager and find the FireWire card, does it have an exclamation mark by it?

No and if you check the card in device manager it say that it is functioning correctly. I have previously been told that the drivers for the firewire with windows 10 do function correctly and the suggestion was to install the older driver. This I tried and still no Joy.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No and if you check the card in device manager it say that it is functioning correctly. I have previously been told that the drivers for the firewire with windows 10 do function correctly and the suggestion was to install the older driver. This I tried and still no Joy.
What’s the make and model of the card?

Well that is a bit difficult on the box or just says "PCI EXPRESS Series card. There is no company name but the bar code label has KALEA-INFORMARIQUE on it. If I try to go the the website my browser will not allow access as it says it is dangerous. If it means that I should buy a different card do you have any suggestions as is seem to be going round in circles.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well that is a bit difficult on the box or just says "PCI EXPRESS Series card. There is no company name but the bar code label has KALEA-INFORMARIQUE on it. If I try to go the the website my browser will not allow access as it says it is dangerous. If it means that I should buy a different card do you have any suggestions as is seem to be going round in circles.
That's a certificate error and you were wise to not proceed. However, I've started a browser session in an sandbox and connected anyway. It looks like a legit site (in French). Most of the firewire cards use Texas instruments chipsets, the cheapest one uses a ViaTech chipset. The Texas Instruments ones do say that the drivers are in Windows, the ViaTech one doesn't mention drivers at all. Interestingly my browser is stalling now, perhaps it is and iffy site after all. Clearing sandbox as we speak.... :cool:

Many thanks for taking interest and looking at this for me as I am very rusty on hardware issues. My hardware knowledge dates back to Z80 processors and so am more of a user these days.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Many thanks for taking interest and looking at this for me as I am very rusty on hardware issues. My hardware knowledge dates back to Z80 processors and so am more of a user these days.
If you can find a model number anywhere I'll try and help more.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Isn’t there a way to look it up from the hardware ID in properties of device manager?
Yes there is, but it would be easier for the OP to simply photograph the box. The longer this goes on the more uneasy I feel about the card's provenance.

@Midlandmike where did you buy it? Clearly it wasn't from the KALEA-INFORMARIQUE?

Open Device Manager, right-click on the Firewire card and select properties. In the window that opens, select the details tab and using the property drop down list select Hardware IDs. Post a screenshot of that output.

IMG_20190607_133652.jpg
IMG_20190607_133707.jpg
IMG_20190607_134014.jpg

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You may want to edit the photos - at least the first one - in MS paint to cut out the things that aren't the box in case there are any personal details there.

I've not looked in detail, but just mentioning as one can't be too careful about these things :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I hope that is all the info you require. Thanks again for looking at this for me.
The values you need there are the VEN and DEV numbers, Yours is VEN 1106 and DEV 3044. If you go here you can see the details of that chipset, it does say no drivers needed after WIndows 7. In which case, if the card doesn't work, I would suggest it's faulty, if you can send it back for a refund.

That is what I was suspecting but when you say that no driver is required does that mean that it uses the one from Windows, or should it work without a driver. My card is currently using a driver called legacy .

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That is what I was suspecting but when you say that no driver is required does that mean that it uses the one from Windows, or should it work without a driver. My card is currently using a driver called legacy .
It means it uses a legacy driver that’s part of windows and is installed via windows update.