First ever build

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks! Might leave the SATA drive for now since at the moment I don't see myself using so many TB!
That open chassis policy is amazing. My brain goes like "Make sure it's done and future proof so you don't have to touch it in years" but I keep forgetting that I could easily upgrade certain parts.

Could I ask you what's the difference between the Ryzen 9 and the Threadripper?
So many options and I barely know what each drive should be used for!
These are the drives on my desktop

1626476702254.png

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
When are they going to port the FFVII Remake to PC??????? I NEEEDSSS IT!!!!

Sorry to OP for going slightly off topic :eek:
I’m sorry too… but not hugely sorry. The more we complain about it, the sooner we get it. It might only be because hundreds of people start lobbying Square to unleash the PC version purely to shut me and you up. But you know what? I can live with that guilt.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’m sorry too… but not hugely sorry. The more we complain about it, the sooner we get it. It might only be because hundreds of people start lobbying Square to unleash the PC version purely to shut me and you up. But you know what? I can live with that guilt.
I was born guilty, I can take a bit more battering for the sake of that game!

CMP01

Enthusiast
I went off FFVII after pretty much watching a mate play through. After that I had no interest in any, preferring other JRPG's and more SRPG/CRPG type things, even some more obscure ones (one of my great regrets re gaming is never quite finishing the amazing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor before my DS died)

That said, I would be very interested in a really good modern remake/take on FFVI.

thatneontea

I went off FFVII after pretty much watching a mate play through. After that I had no interest in any, preferring other JRPG's and more SRPG/CRPG type things, even some more obscure ones (one of my great regrets re gaming is never quite finishing the amazing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor before my DS died)

That said, I would be very interested in a really good modern remake/take on FFVI.
Any SRPG/CRPG recommendations?

thatneontea

Very welcome, it's a pleasure :)
Completely forgot to ask!
I have a soundbar which connects to my current computer through HDMI. Would that be OK for this build or would I have any issues? For some reason my current computer recognises the speaker as a screen. Works fine but I keep having it as a Display on settings and sometimes I lose windows on it.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
First thing first. Your partition names are on god level. Thanks for making my day.
Second...
Needs must!! GIVE. US. A. PC. PORT!!!!!
Also, I see your Ignis, Ifrit and whatnot and raise you a Warring Triad!
Don't forget FFXVI. Thanks!
I would also like the PC port, I've not played any of the FF games with the newer non-turn based combat, but I'm curious to see how it is!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Completely forgot to ask!
I have a soundbar which connects to my current computer through HDMI. Would that be OK for this build or would I have any issues? For some reason my current computer recognises the speaker as a screen. Works fine but I keep having it as a Display on settings and sometimes I lose windows on it.
Yes, will work fine. Connecting any HDMI to a computer will always show as a screen.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks!!! I could never understand why it did show as a screen but I'm glad it's normal :)
It’s because it’s being taken from the gpu, so everything will be recognised as a screen.

To do it properly, you would get a decent DAC for the soundbar and use that with optical out. It would also give vastly better sound.

If you’re interested in looking at DACS, one of my go to recommendations for excellent performance without breaking the bank is Schitt Audio, they’re a US company, relatively new but they’ve made waves with how good their products are at relatively budget prices. They have a UK store so you don’t have to pay any import costs, but sometimes stocks can be low, but they also have an EU store based in Germany which usually has better stocks and is only slightly more for shipping:

The Jotunheim is the one to go for if budget allows, it’s an incredible piece of kit although they are all extremely good

I had one of their tube headphone amplifiers (Lyr 2) up until I bought a main tube amplifier with high end headphone amp on it and didn't require the dedicated headphone amp anymore. I've also got their tone control (Loki), so I speak from experience of using their stuff. The build quality is insanely good despite the low cost.

Last edited:

thatneontea

It’s because it’s being taken from the gpu, so everything will be recognised as a screen.

To do it properly, you would get a decent DAC for the soundbar and use that with optical out. It would also give vastly better sound.

If you’re interested in looking at DACS, one of my go to recommendations for excellent performance without breaking the bank is Schitt Audio, they’re a US company, relatively new but they’ve made waves with how good their products are at relatively budget prices. They have a UK store so you don’t have to pay any import costs, but sometimes stocks can be low, but they also have an EU store based in Germany which usually has better stocks and is only slightly more for shipping:

The Jotunheim is the one to go for if budget allows, it’s an incredible piece of kit although they are all extremely good

I had one of their tube headphone amplifiers (Lyr 2) up until I bought a main tube amplifier with high end headphone amp on it and didn't require the dedicated headphone amp anymore. I've also got their tone control (Loki), so I speak from experience of using their stuff. The build quality is insanely good despite the low cost.
Wow! Watched a few reviews! Looks absolutely stunning and I just can't believe you fixed an issue I had with the soundbar just like that! Thanks so much!

I never knew that was an option! I would imagine the speaker quality would be better and just insane with headphones, right?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that all cards and plugs are sold out but I don't really know what they do. Need to look more into it! :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I never knew that was an option! I would imagine the speaker quality would be better and just insane with headphones, right?
Oh yeah, absolutely, just another league, especially if they're harder to drive headphones, say anything over about 200 Ohms.

I was running some Shure SRH1840's and 1540's off it which were rated at only 65 Ohms, but you could tell the difference when they were in the headphone amp just a far fuller and richer sound. I then invested in a pair of Planar headphones which are the Hifiman Sundara's and much harder to drive, I basically required the headphone amp for them.

For the modular cards, go with the Multibit card, but other than that, there's nothing else you need. That's a real shame they're out of stock, the European site tends to give a bit more information of when stocks may be coming back in:

Also, I found them really helpful with answering questions by email, contact details are on the websites.

Last edited: