First major desktop purchase - everything look ok?

Your manual shows the following:

View attachment 32882

Fairly standard. You should always check the actual manual rather than external sources. Large manufacturers will often customise the BIOS, significantly different from the likes of AMI or etc would have as default.
The reason I deviated from this was, I was getting one beep, straight into a post error screen. Continually til I managed to tweak the bios.

One beep made no sense in the context of this, especially when followed by a forced boot into bios.

I can only assume now the one beep is VGA detected as manual suggests!

Cheers

Edit- My apologies. Just noticed this is on the original thread.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The reason I deviated from this was, I was getting one beep, straight into a post error screen. Continually til I managed to tweak the bios.

One beep made no sense in the context of this, especially when followed by a forced boot into bios.

I can only assume now the one beep is VGA detected as manual suggests!

Cheers

Edit- My apologies. Just noticed this is on the original thread.

You should never deviate from the manual ;)

The POST (Power On Self Test) is exactly what it says, when you turn on..... are there any low level hardware faults.

This is typically known as "BIOS beeps" but doesn't actually refer to anything to do with the BIOS, it's just a function of it at power on. When the BIOS actually starts to configure the boot process, you can then get further issues at which the BIOS will hault without a beep or fault code.....as it's not a hardware error, but a configuration error. Thankfully after the post these errors are described in written form :D

I accept it can be confusing at times but rabbit holes are dangerous and laborious :)