First time speccing a pc

kayper

Bronze Level Poster
Old pc from 2004 is on its last feet so thought I would spec a new pc for myself.

Case
COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE + 2 FRONT USB
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-960 (3.20GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM)
6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX465 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Free Item
FREE MAFIA II Game (RRP: £34.99) with a qualifying GTX 4xx Series GPU!
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
80GB Intel® X25-M 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 250MB/sR | 70MB/sW)***SPECIAL***
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
10x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£89)
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 650W PSU (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£76)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 12 working days
Quantity

Cost is £1546, I already have a sound card and tv card which I should be able to fit myself.

Anything I should change?, Need the pc for gaming, home video to blu ray editing etc
and web. Pc will be on every day, approx 10 hours a day.

Happy to listen to any advice.

Thanks in advance.....:)

Tom DWC

Looks like this is going to be a high quality specification. :)

If you wanted to save yourself some £ then consider the i7 950, GTX 460 and the 1333MHz RAM.

This processor is considerably cheaper and still lightning fast, whilst the graphics card is very similarly priced and, in my opinion, superior in terms of design due to its volume and cooling levels. The memory is also less expensive and still so quick that you're unlikely to notice the difference in most real world situations.

As for your question, the SSD would seem the most sensible drive to install the Windows 7 OS upon due to its high read/write speeds in relation to a HDD. It is also your primary drive.

Last edited:

Stappa

Enthusiast
Looks like this is going to be a high quality specification. :)

If you wanted to save yourself some £ then consider the i7 950, GTX 460 and the 1333MHz RAM.

This processor is considerably cheaper and still lightning fast, whilst the graphics card is very similarly priced and, in my opinion, superior in terms of design due to its volume and cooling levels. The memory is also less expensive and still so quick that you're unlike to notice the difference in most real world situations.

As for your question, the SSD would seem the most sensible drive to install the Windows 7 OS upon due to its high read/write speeds in relation to a HDD.

+1:)I agree

Sleinous

Author Level
Same, and I like the WD10EARS 64mb cached mechanical drive youve chosen. 2nd best drive there, though WD1002FAEX 6G drive isnt totally necessary as oud only experience a minute increase in read write in certain situations.

Meds

It all depends on your budget - if its within budget and you are happy then there is no need to change. However if you do want to save a little cash then the CPU/Memory change to i7 950/6GB Samsung is recommended, this will save a few hundred pounds alone!

No need to change the GPU, as the GTX465 is pretty much the same price as the GTX460 (I think there is like £5 - £10 difference!)