Flight MH17

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I'm not one to usually post about stuff like this, but it makes me most desperately sad that this goes on in the world.

Even if they're able to point the finger and hold someone accountable - the saddest thing is it's already too late. I hope there was minimal suffering when the tragedy occurred.

People are killed in ways similar to this, often worse, every day. It's only when it makes headlines like this that it brings it closer to home.

My thoughts are with the families of all those who died, particularly those from the UK.

We're extremely lucky to live away from conflicts such as these, often wrapped up in our own personal agendas... it's only when we're directly affected we realise just how close we are.

As per forum rules, please keep this topic away from politics.

tumblr_ljtptgkV031qzvsqto1_500.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm still not fully aware of this story, just know it's a travesty. The world's gone bonkers as far as I can tell, and 99% of it is down to religion being misconstrued to suit human greed.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
To be honest, I find the very idea of physically hurting another human being unimaginable. It doesn't even compute in my head....

T

TheGeeza

Putin is an evil person.
I would reply but it would be directly conflicting with "please keep this topic away from politics."

Dangerous situation over there at the moment. Such a shame these people died in a conflict they had no part in.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
The most gutting story I have read so far is about the steward that swapped shifts to be on that plane.

But the most random and sad part of the story is that his wife swapped shifts OFF MH370 and thus survived that one :(

Also, just now read about some Aussies that were on MH17 that had relatives that were on MH370.

This latest one could have happened to any airline by the looks of it (i.e. random attack). Malaysia Airlines seem to just have been very unlucky this year :(

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
The most gutting story I have read so far is about the steward that swapped shifts to be on that plane.

But the most random and sad part of the story is that his wife swapped shifts OFF MH370 and thus survived that one :(

Also, just now read about some Aussies that were on MH17 that had relatives that were on MH370.

This latest one could have happened to any airline by the looks of it (i.e. random attack). Malaysia Airlines seem to just have been very unlucky this year :(

I heard that many airlines were avoiding the area already. Surely it's common sense not to fly over a place where planes have already been shot down in recent weeks?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I heard that many airlines were avoiding the area already. Surely it's common sense not to fly over a place where planes have already been shot down in recent weeks?

They are indeed. I also can't believe it wasn't a no fly zone for commercial aircraft.

This is flight radar tonight. Not completely devoid of activity over Ukraine, but near enough.

Euroflights.jpg

PokerFace

Banned
When I was a young lad I landed a job in the Bahamas. On the first day, the head of security sat us newbies down and explained a few things regarding work and living on the island.

The best bit of advice he gave (which has served me well on my travels), was don't discuss politics or religion with the locals.

If only 'religious' people and politicians would heed that advice, we'd all be better off. :)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Good advice!

I don't know what's worse... being in a plane that's missing somewhere deep in the ocean - or in a plane where your whereabouts are exactly known, but in an area of hostility, lack of clarity and your remains broadcast all over the internet. I both love and hate the media.

I think I would be inclined to pick the ocean :/

keynes

Multiverse Poster
This is increasing my fear of flying even more. Got a flight booked for December, not sure I am confident flying with MAS.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
If I'm honest, Malaysian Airlines haven't been very cautious or caring in the last half a year. They "lose" a plane and then fly a plane over an area which is shooting down transport planes. I would never fly with them.

Of course, It's very upsetting that it was shot down and things like this should never happen

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Whenever I get on a plane I tend just just resign myself to my fate... helps a little. Just make sure you say goodbye to all your loved ones - just in case :)

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Whenever I get on a plane I tend just just resign myself to my fate... helps a little. Just make sure you say goodbye to all your loved ones - just in case :)

To be honest, there's a lot higher a chance of you dying from anything else other than a plane. Think about the amount of people that die in car crashes every year, then the amount of people that die in plane crashes every year... Not that it makes it any better that the plane was shot down.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I think your chances of surviving a car crash are higher than a plane crash though. I've been in a couple of car crashes in my lifetime - no plane crashes though!

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
I think your chances of surviving a car crash are higher than a plane crash though. I've been in a couple of car crashes in my lifetime - no plane crashes though!

But still, if you added up all the fatalities in car crashes and compare it to the fatalities in plane crashes then there's still a much higher chance of you dying in a car crash I would've thought.

Rakk

The Awesome

True, but your chances of being in a car crash are much much much much higher.
Basically as already proven you've already been in a couple of car crashes - so its not exactly rare, but even if you fly an awful lot you are extremely extremely unlikely to be in any kind of plane crash.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Such a tragedy. Although, I do wonder why the plane was flying over that area in the first place? Especially considering a few military aircraft have been shot down in the area in the last few weeks.

Bsrz

Rising Star
just been looking online about it, heard about it on the news, incredibly sad and my thoughts are with the family's.

apparently who ever shot down the plane - not getting into all that, used a buk missile system :0 looks like a serious piece of military hardware.

ttt_img_0599-2.jpg

keynes I am sure you will have a safe flight, think of how many flights take off and land with out problems, every day / night, all year.

Last edited: