Flight MH17

bigben

Master Poster
Only just seen this thread, I went to school with the lad from Bristol, while we weren't really close friends we did share quite a few classes together. RIP Ben and everybody else on that flight :(

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
They are indeed. I also can't believe it wasn't a no fly zone for commercial aircraft.

This is flight radar tonight. Not completely devoid of activity over Ukraine, but near enough.

View attachment 5309

I know this is an old post but I have also only just seen this thread. Not all of Ukraine is at any risk, for example Kiev has no issues and flights to and from continue as usual avoiding the south east (i think) of Ukraine. Infact, I was speaking to someone who had a stopover in Kiev next week.

Also it is a horrible tragedy but people pointing fingers at Russia just causes more issues, we must not let something like this become Franz Ferdinand in 1914

bonalste

Bronze Level Poster
Apparently Malaysia is buying the airline out. It's already the majority shareholder, it's now buying up the rest. Good thing, too; they've been very unlucky. That's one hell of a one-two punch. A lot of airlines opted not to fly over the Ukraine as soon as hostilities broke out, but most didn't. There was a 32,000ft restriction and that was deemed high enough, as nobody thought the rebels would somehow get their hands on an advanced missile system and magically acquire the expertise to use it.