FML Part 2

Matt

Bright Spark
I got another email from that guy. Said he had been away for a few days, now still requesting a refund. Probably going to end up doing it, now said the card was showing artefacts and stuff. :rolleyes:

It still have a year left on the warranty so im going to accept a refund offer, without postage costs £12 and see if i can send it back to XFX. :(

Sweeney47

convinient that the card suddenly shows artefacts (an issue that hadn't arisen before) when his previous 'attempt' at returning the card were proven to be void. If the card is now playing up it seems to me he has done damage to it or he is lying (probably the latter). Either way if it was me he wouldn't get anything out of me.

Meds

We spoke too soon matt :(

I think you're doing the right thing with regards to the refund rather than trying to contest it. Keep us updated with how you get along.

Matt

Bright Spark
We spoke too soon matt :(

I think you're doing the right thing with regards to the refund rather than trying to contest it. Keep us updated with how you get along.

Yeah if it wasn't for you guys i was going to contest it.

Hopefully this guy hasn't done anything to the card like change the bios or anything, so i can actually send it back under warranty and maybe get a new card which i can then sell or something. I don't know, but if i end up £80 down (£90 originally but the guy has agreed to pay the postage) i won't be having nookie for a while put it like that. :(

LDUK

Master Poster
Oh god I'm laughing. Shall I say it? Shall I? Oh go on!?!?!

But seriously, he so walked into that one lol. Damn, if only this was /b/

Matt

Bright Spark
Lol, yep i won't be visiting the massage parlour for a while.

There i made the joke in a polite as possible way heh.

Matt

Bright Spark
Right, got the card back. Afaik nothing has been changed and it looks in the same condition as when i sent it out. Here's hoping i can get it sent back for repair or replacement.

Matt

Bright Spark
@ PCS Staff

What do you use to test/stress gpu cards if they're faulty? I've put the old 4890 in my pc and it booted up fine, had a quick few minutes on mafia 2 and despite performance being pretty horrible 20-30 fps slower than my 5850 it ran without artefacts.

To me the card definitely seems to be running slower than it should.

When i spoke to overclockers, they said xfx will only accept it back if it shows artefacts, not for slow performance. :eek:

I just found a tool called video memory test. Errors were showing, but no artefacts in game, gonna submit this screenshot to overclockers. They better accept it or ill send 'the boys' round.

Last edited:

Meds

We run VMT, also the Heaven Benchmarks which MisterDave posted on the forums a while ago - had a quick look but couldn't find the post I'm afraid.

IMO if the GPU is failing VMT then XFX should accept the return.

Matt

Bright Spark
We run VMT, also the Heaven Benchmarks which MisterDave posted on the forums a while ago - had a quick look but couldn't find the post I'm afraid.

IMO if the GPU is failing VMT then XFX should accept the return.

Can you tell me exactly what test options i should run, and at what resolution because i ran the test afterwards and no errors produced. Also, how long should i run it for?

Gorman

Author Level
VMT, Furmark, Folding gpu clients, Heaven, Vantage, Games. Diagnostic tool wise we use some "in house" software and tools like VMT.

Max res you can and until it fails in some way.

Matt

Bright Spark
VMT, Furmark, Folding gpu clients, Heaven, Vantage, Games. Diagnostic tool wise we use some "in house" software and tools like VMT.

Max res you can and until it fails in some way.

The thing is VMT says that you should run in the smallest res possible so that all the video memory can be tested. When i run it at normal res 1080p it brings up loads of errors. Should i just run a full test overnight on the lowest res as the program advises?

Basically after using the card for a couple of days I'm sure its faulty. It definitely runs slow, with my 5850 i get around 55-70 fps driving around in mafia. With the 4890 i get 25-30. The 5850 should not be that much faster.

As far as i could see in those few days, i did not see any corruption.

Matt

Bright Spark
Then its faulty!

As its basically a 4xxx series gpu with basic dx11 functionality blu-tacked onto the side of it, i totally agree.

I just don't want to send it back, and they say we didn't see artefacts so we can't replace it. That's the impression i got from the email they sent.

When i last checked they didn't have any Zalman 4890's in stock. I had high hopes of them sending me a brand new 5xxx card. However they now have some in stock. Bummer. :(