Fraps

Al.Neri

Super Star
ok, I decided to purchase the program, and I've been trying it out. I think I've got the basics covered, but I'm not sure about anything other than recording.

I did a quick recording of some minecraft gameplay, and when I checked the video folder, there are 4 different video files, 3 being 3.9gb, and the last being 1.89gb.

I know the file sizes are going to be big, I have no problem with that, I have a 1TB HDD I can fill up temporarily. what I want to know, is why there are 4 video files when I only made one test video.

also, how would I go about processing the videos for youtube upload? I remember reading somewhere that windows movie maker is what most people use, don't know if that's correct or not, and if it is, how to go about it.

any help for a first timer would be appreciated.

JSG10

Expert
Don't know about the different video files. I've just tested my fraps, don't have that at all. Just does one per capture. Are you sure you're not pressing the hotkey more than once? One press to start capturing and one more to stop.

With regards to the size. Your fraps settings have a massive impact on the size. If you can, put the fps down and switch it to half size capture. This should still be more than adequate for sites like Youtube. You'll be uploading for weeks if you don't lol

Windows Movie Maker is a great bit of software :) Often use it and it can handily splice all your videos together for you, compress it and publish it as a single video all from a couple of clicks!

With my test videos (which I won't post as they're rather boring of me just messing about on the PC lol) I had 2 videos of 400mb and 910mb each which I then compressed into one video file at 8.34mb at 640*480 which is great for youtube and I did it again for 1080 display and it came out at only 15.6mb!
Yes you DO lose some quality, to be expected really, but not enough to worry the normal user making youtube videos!

As for how to use Windows Movie Maker. Just open it up and have a look and a play with options, it is amazingly user friendly. Just click to add videos, can add multiple videos at a time then just click the file button (next to "Home") and you've got options down there for either publishing movie to a website such as facebook or youtube or to save the movie in various resolutions and sizes. I think its an amazing piece of software :)

Hope all this helps.

Al.Neri

Super Star
I it seems to be getting up to 3.9gb, then starts a new file in the sequence. it is doing it automatically for some reason, I am only pressing to start the capture once.

JSG10

Expert
I wonder if your HDD is set to FAT32 instead of NTFS? You can't have individual files over 4GB with FAT32.

Go to My Computer, Right Click on your HDD, goto Properties and post back with what it says under File System.

JSG10

Expert
Just ran Fraps for aaages to check this and yeah I got the same thing happen, splits it into 3.9GB files max. Doesn't look like there is any option to change this. Its probably just to help you out by not having ridiculously large files on your system, you can also edit, convert and compress them easier if they're smaller sizes.
As the videos run straight into one another you can easily put them together using Windows Movie Maker. Its not difficult at all and if you are wanting to compress them to upload them anyway it only takes an extra click or two to add in the extra files :)

Sleinous

Author Level
ok, I decided to purchase the program, and I've been trying it out. I think I've got the basics covered, but I'm not sure about anything other than recording.

I did a quick recording of some minecraft gameplay, and when I checked the video folder, there are 4 different video files, 3 being 3.9gb, and the last being 1.89gb.

I know the file sizes are going to be big, I have no problem with that, I have a 1TB HDD I can fill up temporarily. what I want to know, is why there are 4 video files when I only made one test video.

also, how would I go about processing the videos for youtube upload? I remember reading somewhere that windows movie maker is what most people use, don't know if that's correct or not, and if it is, how to go about it.

any help for a first timer would be appreciated.

Its been split into 4 parts.

This is because even NTFS file system has its limits.

Limit is 4GB per file from what I remember.

Use the free software - virtualdub to join all 4 segments together.

Also choose xvid codec for re-encoding, you can save about 60% diskspace and los enext to no quality for great youtube vids.

Al.Neri

Super Star
Its been split into 4 parts.

This is because even NTFS file system has its limits.

Limit is 4GB per file from what I remember.

Use the free software - virtualdub to join all 4 segments together.

Also choose xvid codec for re-encoding, you can save about 60% diskspace and los enext to no quality for great youtube vids.

where do I get that from?

Sleinous

Author Level
File --> Open Video File (open teh very first part)

Then File --> Append AVI segment (choose the 2nd part)

Then File --> Append AVI segment (choose 3rd part)

and so on.. :)

Al.Neri

Super Star
I think I've got it now, thanks.

what sort of end file size should I be looking at aiming for for convenience?

I tried recording some trackmania gameplay, and after encoding it, it came out at 341mb for about 2 minutes.

Sleinous

Author Level
Yep its very big, if you try about 40% compression you can still just about get HD Youtube.

I upload all my HD stuff at uni as they have a leased T1 line, upload pseeds vary from 4mb/s to 8mb/s compared to my 50kb/s at home lmao.

Al.Neri

Super Star
tried to upload a test vid last night and ended up having to give up, spent over 2 hours trying to upload a 350mb file which was stuck at 97% for nearly 40 minutes.

in the end I gave up because I was tired and couldn't keep my eyes open.