Game Downloader

petrow

Gold Level Poster
Has anyone used Game's digital downloader?

I bought The Witcher 2 and I have downloaded the game before however now need to download it again. The first 13% ran at a nice and fast 1200kb/s then it drops down to 200kb/s which happened when I downloaded it first time too. Is this because of the downloader having a lot of traffic or is it more likely Virgin Media don't like it?

Any experiences?

Either way, 1200kb/s would take about 3 hours, at this speed it will take 7+.

Rakk

The Awesome
The first 13% ran at a nice and fast 1200kb/s then it drops down to 200kb/s which happened when I downloaded it first time too. Is this because of the downloader having a lot of traffic or is it more likely Virgin Media don't like it?
I notice a speed drop like that when downloading stuff from Steam (doesn't happen every time, but most times), I'm on Virgin media too, starts at 1.2M speed, drops to about 200-300k.
So I think we can spot the culprit here :)

Gorman

Author Level
Virgin will cap you after the first gb or so to roughly a 3rd of your speed.

i hate them for this.

SrgColman

Enthusiast
I miss being on my universities network where I would get a constant of ~8000kb/s. Back at home on Virign now, and I experiance the same speed drop :(

Gishank

Bright Spark
I only experience the cap after about 3/4GB, and that's when peak times begin...

Anyway, as for the digital download service - It's provided by Metaboli/Gamesplanet. Personally I've never had an issue when I've downloaded from them. You could always head over to their forums and ask for support. ;0

petrow

Gold Level Poster
Yup Virgin Media is the culprit. Just got off the phone to them and they said they have traffic managed my account from 1400-2100 and then it should go back to normal. Madness really, so much for "unlimited" downloads. Even the person from their support team said it was a stupid policy. It has taken The Wicther 2 over 6 hours to download now and I'm not even half way through. A 75% reduction is a hell of a lot, 25% or even 50% I could swallow but 75% is mad.

I assume that once you finish your period of traffic management, any downloading during it won't cause it to limit again?

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
each time you trigger it in the time section you are on, daytime or evening it will shape the traffic for 5 hours or until the time section changes, whichever comes first.

petrow

Gold Level Poster
I have just got off the phone to VM as my speed didn't go up after 9pm like they said it will a reboot of my modem/router apparently was needed (still no real changes though). Apparently, their 50MB & their new 100MB services are NEVER traffic managed, so I may have to look at seeing how much that is to upgrade. I currently have their VM TV, phone & broadband package (10mb).