Gaming desktop

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
frenchy, can it run notepad and calculator together?

Lol see that isnt as stupid question as you may think, if I was on a single core PC the answer would be no. So yeah I can but only if theres only 8 things happening on my pc, which tbh is unlikley, therefore im actually going to say maybe, but not always. lol

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
theres a few lurking around on the forum, ill find them in a bit wen im a bit less busy at work lol

markie89

lol ok good good,,at work too probably not as busy as i should be otherwise i would be refreshing this forum evry 5 minutes lol

Tracker

Enthusiast
Lol see that isnt as stupid question as you may think, if I was on a single core PC the answer would be no. So yeah I can but only if theres only 8 things happening on my pc, which tbh is unlikley, therefore im actually going to say maybe, but not always. lol

I must be missing somethign here xD even a single cored computer will run multiple progs at once (multi tasking was around looong before the days of hyper threading and multi cores/cpus), why wouldn't it be able to run? o.o

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I must be missing somethign here xD even a single cored computer will run multiple progs at once (multi tasking was around looong before the days of hyper threading and multi cores/cpus), why wouldn't it be able to run? o.o

Multi threading which is what single cpus have to do is not true parallel processing hence two programs can never run at the same time. The OS allocates time slots to each thread to allow it to do some processing.

Multi core cpus actually can process multiple threads at once, therefore programs actually do run concurrently.

This is the difference between pseudo concurrent and actual concurrent behaviour.

Tracker

Enthusiast
Multi threading which is what single cpus have to do is not true parallel processing hence two programs can never run at the same time. The OS allocates time slots to each thread to allow it to do some processing.

Multi core cpus actually can process multiple threads at once, therefore programs actually do run concurrently.

This is the difference between pseudo concurrent and actual concurrent behaviour.

Ah, thought you were just talking about some process that i'd not heard of x3
that said, theres no difference between the two methods unless you had a way of inputting into both simaltaneously... TO THE MAINFRAME!

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Ah, thought you were just talking about some process that i'd not heard of x3
that said, theres no difference between the two methods unless you had a way of inputting into both simaltaneously... TO THE MAINFRAME!

Theres a massive difference between the two methods, threads arent just per program, programs can have multiple threads, and its not just about input. For example if you have a thread running the graphical interface, and one running the backend of a particular part of an application, the thread running the GUI runs constantly and listens for updates on the data, this is what you call MVC, or MVP (model view controller / presenter) architecture.

Obviously it wont make much difference in this case since threads of this nature are typically not affected by thread switching, but if you had threads that truly needed to run side by side in sequence, on a pseudo concurrent system you would have to make sure you communicate between threads so each dont get ahead of eachother. If you have a truly concurrent system you know that (if the cores are identical) both threads will execute in constant time in comparison with eachother.

markie89

Hey guys, this tech talk is wel past IT intellect lol.. just to let you know the desktop
is on order and i went for a coolmaster case for better air flow

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
tbh even on the lowest budget possible, i would never ever get a single core, its just impossible to go without, even iPads and phones have dual core processing