Gaming/enthusiast build, what do you think?

Cza

Hey guys, first post for me on the forums hope I get a warm welcome ;)

I have recently placed an order to PCS as I really don't have the time to build it myself at the moment, Id like to know your thoughts on this build I have.

CORSAIR GRAPHITE SERIES™ 600T WHITE MID-TOWER CASE
AMD FX-9590 Eight Core CPU (4.7GHz-5.0GHz/16MB CACHE/AM3+)
ASUS® SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/Sli)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB KIT)
4GB AMD RADEON™ R9 290X - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
240GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
1TB SEAGATE ST1000DX001 1TB/8GB SSHD 64MB HYBRID DRIVE
15x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
CORSAIR 1000W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
DUAL-BAND WIRELESS 802.11N 450Mbps PCI-E CARD
2 PORT USB 3.0 INTERNAL PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS

Ill be using the pc to stream/upload and edit gameplay etc.
I was debating to go SLI and get another 290x but my pockets are not that deep at this moment in time lol
I also have 3 Asus VE247H 23.6/24 monitors on there way for surround

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The i7 monsters even the AMD black edition chips at gaming. So you might want to work on an intel setup.

You can do the following while your at it.

Drop the beast RAM, its not really needed. though it doesn't save much money the 1600 stuff is fine.
Grab the z87-a, its got everything you will ever need upgrade wise.
I would also go for an NVidia 780 or 780ti depending on what you have to spend, the 290x is a hot and noisy card
The 1Tb caviar black is a better drive than they hybrid, which is redundant as you have a SSD anyway for the OS

You planning an overclock?

Cza

The i7 monsters even the AMD black edition chips at gaming. So you might want to work on an intel setup.

You can do the following while your at it.

Drop the beast RAM, its not really needed. though it doesn't save much money the 1600 stuff is fine.
Grab the z87-a, its got everything you will ever need upgrade wise.
I would also go for an NVidia 780 or 780ti depending on what you have to spend, the 290x is a hot and noisy card
The 1Tb caviar black is a better drive than they hybrid, which is redundant as you have a SSD anyway for the OS

You planning an overclock?

Ive already placed the order, it came to £1800 inc VAT.

I was only going to overclock in the future once I get all my watercooling sorted, I know the card is noisy and likes to run at 95C, but with a waterblock I believe the performance of the gpu would exceed a 780, not sure if it will be better than a Ti but I was on a bit of a budget, didn't want to spend any more than 2k :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If you were on a budget adding a waterblock with a pump will probably going to make it as expensive as a gtx 780 or more. For your budget, as mentioned by Mantadog, I would have consider an intel system. Both the cpu and gpu run very hot and adding a waterblock will invalidate the manufacturers warranty for the GPU and probably the cpu as well.

Cza

If you were on a budget adding a waterblock with a pump will probably going to make it as expensive as a gtx 780 or more. For your budget, as mentioned by Mantadog, I would have consider an intel system. Both the cpu and gpu run very hot and adding a waterblock will invalidate the manufacturers warranty for the GPU and probably the cpu as well.

Advice taken on adding a waterblock, im aware that the 600T has good space for extra fans, so if I were to replace the stock fans with corsair's sp 120's it should cut the noise down but then I still have a noisy gfx card lol :) I should of went with NVidia to be honest but I really did want to try out an amd build this time around

Karnor00

Bright Spark
The 290X is a good card and overclocks well. Downsides are, as pointed out, it is hot and noisy but watercooling eliminates these problems. Overclocked with proper cooling it should outperform a non-overclocked GTX 780 ti.

Putting a waterblock on will, of course, invalidate your warranty, but hopefully you knew that already.

Cza

The 290X is a good card and overclocks well. Downsides are, as pointed out, it is hot and noisy but watercooling eliminates these problems. Overclocked with proper cooling it should outperform a non-overclocked GTX 780 ti.

Putting a waterblock on will, of course, invalidate your warranty, but hopefully you knew that already.

I did know that it would invalidate the warranty, but I was planning on doing it in the future, so ill just have to put up with a hairdryer blowing away in my rig for a while haha, may even debate replacing it with a 780 Ti, ill see how everything performs once I receive the pc I guess

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I did know that it would invalidate the warranty, but I was planning on doing it in the future, so ill just have to put up with a hairdryer blowing away in my rig for a while haha, may even debate replacing it with a 780 Ti, ill see how everything performs once I receive the pc I guess

You can always modify your order, if I am spending £1500 I would expect all the conponents to be performing well and not put up wih noisy gpu.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
if I were you I would chancel that order and switch to the intel platform. The amount the i7 4770 dominates even the black editions from AMD in gaming is embarrassing.

Also the expense of adding a water block etc is not worth it. IMO

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Nothing wrong with AMD processors in my opinion,I have one and have never had any problems running any games or anything else.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Nothing wrong with AMD processors in my opinion,I have one and have never had any problems running any games or anything else.

Yeah no problems as such, but when your buying a processor for performance instead of value (the black does neither IMO) the intel wins. Raw performance is similar but only because those chips have double the cores.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Yeah no problems as such, but when your buying a processor for performance instead of value (the black does neither IMO) the intel wins. Raw performance is similar but only because those chips have double the cores.
Intel wins in benchmarks,we all know that,but is there any real noticeable difference in performance? not in my experience.

Last edited:

Cza

You can always modify your order, if I am spending £1500 I would expect all the conponents to be performing well and not put up wih noisy gpu.

is it possible to amend the order while its in pre production then? or is that something your not sure about

Cza

Think im going to stick with the order i first placed guys, thanks for all your opinions though. Ill be updating you on the progress on the build and may even do a unboxing video.

Much love. Cza

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Think im going to stick with the order i first placed guys, thanks for all your opinions though. Ill be updating you on the progress on the build and may even do a unboxing video.

Much love. Cza
Very nice build in my opinion,enjoy :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Intel wins in benchmarks,we all know that,but is there any real noticeable difference in performance? not in my experience.

For gaming yes, in CPU intensive games, I agree with most games it won't matter.
but my comment is to do with the heat and noise issue with the gpu and CPU apart from performance. I.though you were not happy with the temps on the r9-280x, that's not even something I could find in reviews but the r9-290x with the reference cooler is heavily criticised in reviews for the poor cooling and noise.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
For gaming yes, in CPU intensive games, I agree with most games it won't matter.
but my comment is to do with the heat and noise issue with the gpu and CPU apart from performance. I.though you were not happy with the temps on the r9-280x, that's not even something I could find in reviews but the r9-290x with the reference cooler is heavily criticised in reviews for the poor cooling and noise.
I'm still not happy with the temps on my R9 280X and intend to phone PCS about it,but I don't think it's a problem with the cards in general,I think I was just unfortunate in getting a bad card.
The R9 290X cards on the other hand are designed to withstand and run at high temps,I haven't seen any complaints about them on the forums.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster

Would you notice it, not really. But in gaming it could start causing problems, they are significantly behind the intel chips in gaming more so than anything else. The power those particular chips draw is immense, they are not any cheaper than the intel ones (especially not really when you consider an i5 would smash it in gaming terms.)

I think I made a comparison spec that I didn't post and it came out no more expensive on the intel platform, but I do agree that you are probably not going to see a huge difference in terms of end user experience.