Gaming Laptop under £800?

ata

Hey guys, looking to buy a new laptop that can run StarCraft 2 really well (it's really the only game I play on my computer). On a budget of about £800 and looking at the Optimus II, how does this build look:

Chassis & Display
Optimus II: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Battery
Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery (48.84WH)

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

For £785 including VAT and delivery. Any comments or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

LightningMat

Consider the extra £9 for the thermal paste too. Other than that, looks like a good spec.

(I have just received my new Optimus II and I would definitely recommend!! :):):)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Thermal paste is applied between the surfaces of the heatsink/cooler & processor it increases the heat conductivity by filling microscopic air-gaps present due to the imperfectly flat and smooth surfaces of the components helping to stop the processor from overheating.
Some thermal pastes are better than others,hence the extra cost.

Reactions: ata

ata

Ok thanks, another noob question though: Is the paste applied during the building process and lasts forever?

:stupid:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ok thanks, another noob question though: Is the paste applied during the building process and lasts forever?

:stupid:
Yes it's applied during the building process,nothing lasts forever,some enthusiasts change it every year or so I think,
but not something I would bother about,unless I was having overheating problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: ata

ata

Ok thanks a lot for answering, I think I'll add the Arctic MX-4 thermal paste then if it's only £9.

Thanks again.

ata

Another question: Is the i7-2670QM processor good for gaming? I was told somewhere else that the i7 is better for multi-threaded tasks and i5 is better for threads that aren't well multi-threaded (not too sure what this means) like gaming. Also, 2.20GHz doesn't seem that fast.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
its because its a quad core, which is probably better than the i5, if you cant afford it though, the i5 shouldnt be a problem as it has hyper threading

ata

Is quad core really that much better than dual core? The i7-2640M dual core has a clock speed of 2.80GHz and a 4MB cache, and i5-2520M dual core has 2.50GHz and 3MB cache. The processor I was going to get was the i7-2670QM quad core @ 2.20GHz and 6MB cache.

Does the fact that it's quad core and has a larger cache outweigh the relatively slow clock speed?

I worked out that the dual core i5-2520M (2.50GHz, 3MB) costs £108, the dual core i7-2640M (2.80GHz, 4MB) costs £154, and the quad core i7-2670QM (2.20GHz, 6MB) costs £142. So they all cost pretty much the same and price isn't an issue between these 3 processors.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
quad core is best for more intense tasks although if you dont do much on your laptop that will cause your laptop to struggle a dual core will be better, although id recommend the quad anyway

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
+1 for the quad core, these days clock speed doesnt matter as much and theres a whole lot of other crap going on that makes the bigger difference. Also more and more games are moving towards use 4 cores now and more should join suit hopefully so they you will feels a even bigger benefit.