Gaming PC Advice

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Afternoon guys. :)

I have a question about SSD installation if anybody could help please.

Do I need a heat sink + thermal tape for both of my SSDs?

As I only initially got one SSD with my original PCS order, I only have one heat sink. And, rather annoyingly, only one screw/standoff set! So I have installed my new SSD in the top slot (PCS installed my first SSD in the bottom slot) and now the bottom slot is empty until I find a stand off/screw (and maybe heat sink) set to buy.
I'd just check to make sure they're not actually already installed on the motherboard? That wouldn't be at all unusual...

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Indeed, and keep in mind that there is only one stand off per slot. If the stand off was already installed in the outer-most post, this may just need re-positioned.

If you're 100% certain that it's not on the board and not in the pack then I would contact PCS as they should send you them out for free.

TopeConHilo

I'd just check to make sure they're not actually already installed on the motherboard? That wouldn't be at all unusual...
Indeed, and keep in mind that there is only one stand off per slot. If the stand off was already installed in the outer-most post, this may just need re-positioned.

If you're 100% certain that it's not on the board and not in the pack then I would contact PCS as they should send you them out for free.
Thank you both. I have had another look at the motherboard and could not see anything.

I’ve already ordered the set from Amazon which Martin kindly recommended, which I’m fine with as it’s due tomorrow and I don’t think my impatient self wants to wait much longer as I’m so close to finally finishing. :ROFLMAO:

So tomorrow when I install the 2nd SSD, will that cause any issues as that was my original boot drive? There are now 2 Windows in play, so to speak?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you both. I have had another look at the motherboard and could not see anything.

I’ve already ordered the set from Amazon which Martin kindly recommended, which I’m fine with as it’s due tomorrow and I don’t think my impatient self wants to wait much longer as I’m so close to finally finishing. :ROFLMAO:

So tomorrow when I install the 2nd SSD, will that cause any issues as that was my original boot drive? There are now 2 Windows in play, so to speak?
Amazon rules!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If you have installed Windows on the new drive, everything should be OK. The only thing to consider is the boot order in the BIOS, as it would need to be the new drive rather than the old one. You want to get to the point of wiping the old drive so that you can store games etc on it.

This is where things can go wrong. Fortunately the worst that can happen is you need to install Windows again so it's nothing too hard to sort out.

Just out of interest, what are everyone’s thoughts on the original spec on the thread for someone who doesn’t have a PC to upgrade but would use it for similar things?

TopeConHilo

Afternoon all!

So I have finally finished the build backed up any files I’d like to keep and the last job is for me to wipe the second SSD so I’m dealing with two clean SSDs? Is this just as simple as deleting the files in explorer, or is it a bit more complex than that?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Afternoon all!

So I have finally finished the build backed up any files I’d like to keep and the last job is for me to wipe the second SSD so I’m dealing with two clean SSDs? Is this just as simple as deleting the files in explorer, or is it a bit more complex than that?
Just right click the drive in explorer, select format, then quick format. Done

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just right click the drive in explorer, select format, then quick format. Done

He'll want to wipe out the hidden partitions as well, with the boot sector. Keep in mind it was his primary drive previously :)

You right click on the start menu, click "Disk Management".

Identify the old drive (It'll be Disk#). There will be a number of partitions off to the right of it, one will have a drive letter (possibly D). You want to right click on all of them and click delete to remove the partition. Once all of them have been cleared off, right click and create a new "Simple" disk and format it as NTFS.

Just ensure that you don't touch any of the partitions relating to your new primary drive. If you want to post up a screen shot to be safe we can guide you to which one to clear.

TopeConHilo

He'll want to wipe out the hidden partitions as well, with the boot sector. Keep in mind it was his primary drive previously :)

You right click on the start menu, click "Disk Management".

Identify the old drive (It'll be Disk#). There will be a number of partitions off to the right of it, one will have a drive letter (possibly D). You want to right click on all of them and click delete to remove the partition. Once all of them have been cleared off, right click and create a new "Simple" disk and format it as NTFS.

Just ensure that you don't touch any of the partitions relating to your new primary drive. If you want to post up a screen shot to be safe we can guide you to which one to clear.
Will give this a go later, thank you.

I had already done the format as Spider suggested last night and went ahead and installed a few games on there. Am I able to delete *only* the partitions without affecting the stuff I had installed last night? Or would I best deleting the partitions and still proceeding with the format? Would mean having to download everything again, but I absolutely do this properly.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your help over the past month or so. It's really appreciated. From being nice enough to get me the initial money saving (upgrading current PC, rather than buying a new PC outright), to giving advice on compatible parts for my requirements and for all of the help with the installation process along the way. I would also like to say thanks again for encouraging the DIY route, there was definitely a small sense of satisfaction once I had finished (massive assist to you guys for that) and I've now picked up a brand new interest in PCs. I'm now not only interested in gaming on them, but now also in how they're built!

I know you guys have to clarify it often, but I really do understand and appreciate that you are not a PCS support channel yet you are all nice enough (and patient enough!) to help out massively in your spare time, and I really do want to make sure I'm getting across how appreciative I am for all of the help.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Check first just to be sure that my thinking is correct. If it is, it's better to delete all the partitions and start again. You can typically extend a partition, but I think it only works to extend capacity one way, so you would only be able to still use part of the drive.

Just check the disk management tool and have a look at the layout of the disk. Post a screenshot up if you're not sure.

TopeConHilo

Evening all, please see attached. Here is what I can see on Disk Management. Should I be deleting anything here?

Attachments

• DM.PNG
    DM.PNG
    38.9 KB · Views: 39