Gaming PC Advice

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

TopeConHilo

TopeConHilo

Good afternoon all!

So today was CPU and cooling installation day.

I have installed the CPU and the H100i radiator has been installed but there is just not enough space above my RAM for heater + fans. I took out my RAM which enabled me to install the radiator and the fans, but was unable to put the RAM back in. So to get the RAM back in I have removed one of the fans.

Are there any workarounds for this please? Is it possible to run the H100i with only one fan installed?

So frustrating as a couple more CM of space and it would fit perfectly!

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Good afternoon all!

So today was CPU and cooling installation day.

I have installed the CPU and the H100i radiator has been installed but there is just not enough space above my RAM for heater + fans. I took out my RAM which enabled me to install the radiator and the fans, but was unable to put the RAM back in. So to get the RAM back in I have removed one of the fans.

Are there any workarounds for this please? Is it possible to run the H100i with only one fan installed?

So frustrating as a couple more CM of space and it would fit perfectly!
It's possible, and it wouldn't do any damage, except that the cooling would be less effective.

Is there room to mount the radiator and fans at the front of the case as intakes, rather than exhausts? That would be the obvious alternative solution. It will depend on the size of the graphics card in that case...

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
IGNORE - WRONG CASE

It's strange that it doesn't fit with the RAM, as it's a config that the PCS tool doesn't complain about at all...and pictures of the same case online show the AIO being fitted on the top too (albeit it this is a 360mm H150).

ymfa6jgjn8561.jpg

Last edited:

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It's strange that it doesn't fit with the RAM, as it's a config that the PCS tool doesn't complain about at all...and pictures of the same case online show the AIO being fitted on the top too (albeit it this is a 360mm H150).

ymfa6jgjn8561.jpg
The case is a 220T, I think?

TopeConHilo

ymfa6jgjn8561.jpg

The gap between the RAM and the fans in that picture is just not there for me, perhaps the two cases are different spec.

The case is a 220T, I think?
That’s correct.

Good to hear that it will be able to run with just the one fan as it’s looking likely that’s the way I’ll have to go.

I’m also having trouble fitting the cooler itself with trying to figure out all of the screws with the backplate on the side of the case, do I need to keep the plate installed?

Thank you all once again for your time guys.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah the 220T is really tight you can remove the fan that's getting in the way and move it to the front if you wanted or an exhaust instead, shouldn't cause much of an issue

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The gap between the RAM and the fans in that picture is just not there for me, perhaps the two cases are different spec.

That’s correct.

Good to hear that it will be able to run with just the one fan as it’s looking likely that’s the way I’ll have to go.

I’m also having trouble fitting the cooler itself with trying to figure out all of the screws with the backplate on the side of the case, do I need to keep the plate installed?

Thank you all once again for your time guys.
If that's the plate on the back of the motherboard, yes, you absolutely need to keep it installed: it is essential to the contact between the CPU and the cooler.

TopeConHilo

If that's the plate on the back of the motherboard, yes, you absolutely need to keep it installed: it is essential to the contact between the CPU and the cooler.
I’ve since figured that out. Sorry for the dense question. Been a long few hours. :ROFLMAO:

As careful as I was with the cooler, I accidentally smeared off the pre applied thermal paste so before turning the system back on, I’m going to buy some and apply some more so there is enough. Don’t really fancy frying my CPU on day one. :ROFLMAO:

Everything is installed now though, was also decent to use the opportunity to tidy up a few of the wires in the front and back of the case. :)

Edit - On my motherboard (TUF X570 Plus), would anybody know if there is more than two USB headers? To plug in my cooler I had to unplug the WiFi card as I could not see any more slots.

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Sorry, got confused between the ‘new’ build and the ’original’ build we were upgrading. Shouldn’t have as it’s the same case as mine 😁

Did we not mention somewhere that mine was non-RGB, and that’s how it fitted in mine?

TopeConHilo

Damn, poor planning from myself! Lessons learnt though as no doubt I will be doing this again at some point in the future as I’ve really enjoyed learning about PC building since my original post on here a few weeks ago, mostly because of the knowledge and wisdom you guys have been nice enough to share on here. That and the countless YouTube videos I’ve been invested in, PC building is definitely my current YouTube down the rabbit hole binge.

TopeConHilo

So CPU and cooler are now installed and I had to enter the BIOS settings as the PC has recognised the new CPU. Is there anything i need to do at this point? Bare in mind I am not yet reinstalling Windows, just wanted to make sure everything was working after each step as recommended earlier in the thread.

One thing I have noticed is that the 2 RAM sticks are both showing as 2133mhz but I have 3200mhz RAM, or at least that’s what it says in their description. Is this a problem?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It just means the BIOS settings have been reset from when you did the BIOS update.

You'd normally save a backup of the BIOS settings to reinstate after the update.

In your case, it simply sounds like the XMP/EXPO settings need to be configured to match your RAM. Should be a setting that looks something like this...but you may have to go into Advanced Mode to access the memory settings if this isn't how your main page is showing...(and it may have a different theme of different motherboards).
220907154534.bmp

Last edited:

TopeConHilo

Afternoon guys. :)

I have a question about SSD installation if anybody could help please.

Do I need a heat sink + thermal tape for both of my SSDs?

As I only initially got one SSD with my original PCS order, I only have one heat sink. And, rather annoyingly, only one screw/standoff set! So I have installed my new SSD in the top slot (PCS installed my first SSD in the bottom slot) and now the bottom slot is empty until I find a stand off/screw (and maybe heat sink) set to buy.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The standoff screw and any other bits and bobs should be in the box of spares from PCS?