Genesis IV nVidia driver update?

abakiz

I have this laptop, within the last nVidia driver update there's a fix for Skyrim using optimus. How would I go about updating this driver when the nVidia update manager doesn't recognise that I have this GPU?

abakiz

I tried that but it said it wasn't recognised. Also I can't find my model number on the manufacturers website (Cleveo)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Have you tried uninstalling graphics driver first before installing or when installing driver select custom install and check the box for clean install.

abakiz

Have you tried uninstalling graphics driver first before installing or when installing driver select custom install and check the box for clean install.

Yeah I tried this, still doesn't recognise it which is fairly annoying, cause now I've got no nVidia driver at all. (I can't disable the Intel one either, no option in bios)

abakiz

Found a fix for this, seems NVidia forgot to list the device under there hardware ID's for Clevlo, for anyone else that' stuck, here is the instructions.

1. Download the VERDE NVidia drivers. (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/noteb...driver-uk.html May not be latest, please check). Mine where 630m.
2. Run this, it will say "hardware not found" ignore and close the installation.
3. Go to "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\301.42\WinVista_Win7_64\I nternational\Display.Driver" or where ever this folder is installed.
4. Open NVAM.inf (Maybe slighly diffrent name, but your looking for a file which lists hardware locations) & Open ListDevices.txt
5. Find hardware device path, in device manager go to your GPU hardware and under details look for dropdown "Device Instance Path", should only be one string, copy it.
6. Go into NVAM and on the second list under "[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]" find the most similar string to your device path, copy and paste this then change it to yours. So for example:

(Second one is my own one)
%NVIDIA_DEV.0DE9.212E.1043% = Section088, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DE9&SUBSYS_212E1043
%NVIDIA_DEV.0DE9.212E.1043% = Section088, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DE9&SUBSYS_27021558
Save and close this.

Open devicelist.txt and find "nvcv.inf:" this stands for Clevo models.
Go down to the appropriate graphics card and do the same as above.

So for example (mine being the second one and the first one already existing)
DEV_0DE9&SUBSYS_27031558 "NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M "
DEV_0DE9&SUBSYS_27021558 "NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M "

Save and close.

Run the installation, shazam! Works, you've got the latest drivers working with Optimus.

May work with other laptop models as well.

Last edited:

steaky360

If you cant get it sorted before might be worth giving PCS a call tomorrow, they are very helpful and will likely be able to sort it out for you.

abakiz

I don't know what they could do? I've tried manufactorers drivers but they are way out of date. I've tried Nvidia drivers but they don't work.

steaky360

I don't know what they could do? I've tried manufactorers drivers but they are way out of date. I've tried Nvidia drivers but they don't work.

Its still worth giving them a phone mate. Worst they will say is that they cant help. That in my experience is unlikely though, they will endeavour to sort you out :)

Is it still in warranty? Worst case would be sending it back for repair.

abakiz

Found a fix for this, seems NVidia forgot to list the device under there hardware ID's for Clevlo, for anyone else that' stuck, here is the instructions.

1. Download the VERDE NVidia drivers. (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-301.42-whql-driver-uk.html May not be latest, please check). Mine where 630m.
2. Run this, it will say "hardware not found" ignore and close the installation.
3. Go to "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\301.42\WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver" or where ever this folder is installed.
4. Open NVAM.inf (Maybe slighly diffrent name, but your looking for a file which lists hardware locations) & Open ListDevices.txt
5. Find hardware device path, in device manager go to your GPU hardware and under details look for dropdown "Device Instance Path", should only be one string, copy it.
6. Go into NVAM and on the second list under "[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]" find the most similar string to your device path, copy and paste this then change it to yours. So for example:

(Second one is my own one)
%NVIDIA_DEV.0DE9.212E.1043% = Section088, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DE9&SUBSYS_212E1043
%NVIDIA_DEV.0DE9.212E.1043% = Section088, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DE9&SUBSYS_27021558
Save and close this.

Open devicelist.txt and find "nvcv.inf:" this stands for Clevo models.
Go down to the appropriate graphics card and do the same as above.

So for example (mine being the second one and the first one already existing)
DEV_0DE9&SUBSYS_27031558 "NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M "
DEV_0DE9&SUBSYS_27021558 "NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M "

Save and close.

Run the installation, shazam! Works, you've got the latest drivers working with Optimus.

May work with other laptop models as well.

Last edited: