Genesis IV won't accept more than 8GB RAM

Yamikotai

Expert
I have a feeling that my Genesis IV is incapable of recognising more than 8GB of RAM - that is, 2x4GB. This sounds strange since the specs page on the PCS site say it can take 2x8GB for a total 16GB, plus they sell it in the same configuration as me:

I have 2 modules of 1600MHz, 8GB capacity each - bought separately, I should point out - but my Genesis IV shows each module in BIOS (and Windows) as 4GB. At first I figured this might be an issue with the RAM, however both modules report the same whether they are installed together or separately. I figured this might be a BIOS issue but I'm a tech guy and even I can't figure out how to update the bugger.
Also, I happened to be looking at the manual and find this:
nWY8RSw.png

So according to the manual that came on the disc with the laptop... (I've uploaded a copy of the manual here - the screenshot is from page 278/282: http://yamikotai.beaver.feralhosting.com/Manual.pdf)
... it can only take up to 8GB maximum.

My theory is that there's some older chipset that my Genesis IV is using that more recent ones aren't (keep in mind it said it could take 2x8GB 1600MHz when I bought it), perhaps? And that this is what the manual is referring to.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
As you say Yamikotai,maybe a bios update would fix it so probably best get in touch with tech support,unfortunately I don't think PCS will be open for business till Tuesday morning.

Last edited:

Yamikotai

Expert
That's not the same as me. I have 16GB KomputerBay 1600MHz :p Installed myself but checked in a friend's Optimus III, where it works fine.

Yamikotai

Expert
As you say Yamikotai,maybe a bios update would fix it so probably best get in touch with tech support,unfortunately I don't think PCS will be open for business till Tuesday morning.
Just submitted a ticket to get the USB2 port fixed and as an aside, check that it will take 16GB.