GPU error message while playing BF3

bigben

Master Poster
Hi guys,
I've had this error message twice while playing BF3 in the last couple of weeks

No other games, just BF3. I've had the drivers since they were released (1/7/13).
The message comes up and my games closes. The first time I had it I reinstalled the drivers through GeForce Experience.
Should I try again?
Any other ideas?

Thanks

On a side note, it only ever seems to happen when I'm doing well..

Gazza

Bronze Level Poster
On a side note, it only ever seems to happen when I'm doing well..

Quit doing so well and problem solved :tt2:

Download MSI afterburner & reduce Core clock speed .. you may lose FPS but it should solve the problem.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Give this a try mate, its the cleanest possible install for the GPU drivers you can get.

Download whatever driver you want to use to your desktop. Next, go to Windows update and set it to 'check for updates but let me decide what to install' that will keep windows from automatically installing it's video driver. Next go to C:/Nvidia, open the folder and you should see a folder named Display driver. Inside that folder you should see a folder for every driver you have ever installed. They will be names 320.49 and such. Delete every one of those folders, but do not delete the display driver folder, just the ones inside. Next go to control panel > uninstall programs. Uninstall all of the Nvidia display programs, but this is important, uninstall the display driver last. Uninstall the Nvidia update, Phys X, 3D drivers (few people use them), Nvidia HDMI, and the Nvidia update (it does not work anyway). Last uninstall the display driver. You will be told to reboot, do so. When you log back on, windows will install a display adaptor, that is OK. Open your driver that you have downloaded from Nvidia, agree to terms, do not select express install, select custom install. Make sure the 'clean install' check box is selected and uncheck everything except the display driver and PhysX, then install. You will have to reboot after that. That will be the cleanest install you can get, and you will not have the HDMI driver to conflict with the Realtek drivers, but should have all the drivers you need. You can then set windows update back to whatever you like.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Give this a try mate, its the cleanest possible install for the GPU drivers you can get.

Download whatever driver you want to use to your desktop. Next, go to Windows update and set it to 'check for updates but let me decide what to install' that will keep windows from automatically installing it's video driver. Next go to C:/Nvidia, open the folder and you should see a folder named Display driver. Inside that folder you should see a folder for every driver you have ever installed. They will be names 320.49 and such. Delete every one of those folders, but do not delete the display driver folder, just the ones inside. Next go to control panel > uninstall programs. Uninstall all of the Nvidia display programs, but this is important, uninstall the display driver last. Uninstall the Nvidia update, Phys X, 3D drivers (few people use them), Nvidia HDMI, and the Nvidia update (it does not work anyway). Last uninstall the display driver. You will be told to reboot, do so. When you log back on, windows will install a display adaptor, that is OK. Open your driver that you have downloaded from Nvidia, agree to terms, do not select express install, select custom install. Make sure the 'clean install' check box is selected and uncheck everything except the display driver and PhysX, then install. You will have to reboot after that. That will be the cleanest install you can get, and you will not have the HDMI driver to conflict with the Realtek drivers, but should have all the drivers you need. You can then set windows update back to whatever you like.

Dear Mods, I think this excellent info from Boozad should be a sticky with an appropriate title. I've advised a couple of people (on here) to use this technique and they've had good results with it (all credit went to Boozad of course).

PokerFace

Banned

Dear Mods, I think this excellent info from Boozad should be a sticky with an appropriate title. I've advised a couple of people (on here) to use this technique and they've had good results with it (all credit went to Boozad of course).

If it's made a sticky, can you add a few paragraph breaks too? I must have read the same sentence five times :)