GPU HELP! AMD or NVIDIA?

Sleinous

Author Level
Sorry to be a pain, but also does it matter that the GTX470 only has mini HDMI (I presume that's the best connection) with the monitor only having standard HDMI?

Also, a long way off but i seen people connecting 3 monitors up at once. How would you go about doing that? Do you then need 3 GPU's? Future reference only cos I just think it would take gaming to the next level. Can't do 3D cos am blind in one eye!

you will receive a Palit GTX 470 (nearly 100% certain) this card has a full HDMI, not mHDMI. Personally I use DVI for monitors, I had odd experinces with mHDMI on monitor. But res assured the 470 has HDMI full, from Palit

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Hmm I'm not sure what Slenious is talking about but yes the HD5870 will perform better. And yes the 1GB version can support up to 3 monitors at a time.

Skippy1207

F.A.O Pheonix, Slenious was replying to a post i put on here hours ago when he suggested the GTX470 GPU. I mentioned that while searching the net, the GTX470 only come with mini HDMI but since then I have made up my mind on the HD5870 (thanks to you) which comes with standard HDMI so not an issue now. How would you run 3 monitors on one HD5870 GPU just out of curiosity?

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
No it won't blow it out of the water it's just faster, you could connect to 3 monitors using two DVI cables and a display port cable (it depends on which brand you get though, I think that the ports on each card varies between the manufacturers)

Skippy1207

Cool, sounds good. To be honest I haven't been so sure about the PC I will be ordering since I started to look into it so thanks. Just so I know I have a future proof machine, what benefit would adding another GPU in the future bring and will it be easy adding another one and some more RAM

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Adding a second graphics card will provide a considerable improvement in frames per second, it shouldn't be too hard to add a second card and some more memory; it would be a good idea to get an anti-static wrist band before you do anything inside the computer though.

Skippy1207

To Phoenix, just wanted to say thanks for your help yesterday and with regards to your last post, will leave the upgrading to the experts me thinks, wouldn't have the confidence myself to be adding new things, lol