GPU Problems

VenatoS

I didn't know where to ask this, but i am having problems with my GPU.

I've been playing the famous DayZ Mod and i've been having issues with FPS... I looked at the GPU usage and it hangs around 60-75%...

I am confused and i dont know what is the problem anyone can help?

VenatoS

Im playin the day arma mos and om T
80fps standing still suddemly fps goes to like 20 and laggs like **** when i look at msi afterburner it shpws the gpu is working at about 50% only.
So far only expirianced this in DayZ Arma but also i expriance a lot of flickering in Sniper Elite V2.

I have not tried a fresh install of Drivers i installed new ones asap as the pc came.

steaky360

It could be your CPU (possibly....) being worked. ARMA etc. are reasonably CPU intensive (compared to most games). But its likely just due to the laggy nature of the game!

Is the problem becoming more prominent (ie. occurring more often etc.)?

Have a bash installing the latest drivers (even if they are not an update as such, download them from NVidia's website and do a clean install) - might sort the problem out :)

VenatoS

I will try that today when i get home and ill answer you back.
Its weird it didnt happen for a while and occured first time yesterday!

VenatoS

UPDATE:

I re-installed all drivers to fresh.
My GPU still runs at about 50-70 ish % in DayZ MoD, I'm not sure what is it.. can i force it to run at 100%?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
UPDATE:

I re-installed all drivers to fresh.
My GPU still runs at about 50-70 ish % in DayZ MoD, I'm not sure what is it.. can i force it to run at 100%?

Arma II is mainly cpu bound, so it's unlikely to be a gpu rated problem imo.

What cpu have you got? if its Intel you could look at disabling CPU Parking.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
well you shouldn't having any performance issues with a I7 4790k and a 780ti. I'd go into the nvidia control panel and enable adaptive vsync. NV control panel, manage 3d settings, global settings, scroll down to vertical sync and set to adaptive. Are you running on a 60hz monitor? this will set the frames to 60fps (or whatever your monitor runs at), but it's very good for ensuring the games are still smooth. I'd try this first, basically the gpu will only work as hard as it needs to.

if that doesnt help, you could try disabling cpu parking.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'll check it out tomorrow :) thanks for the comment and i will respond asap

no problem, it does sound a bit strange though. You could try fresh gpu drivers too.

It might also be worth observing your cpu usage as well. See if it looks smooth, n what not.

VenatoS

I have reinstalled fresh drivers and i occasionally expiriance that low fps.
i have began also to see flickering in Sniper Elite V2 which im sure is not normal the textures appear disappear white patches of area appear.
Im beginning to feel as my GPU is faulty.. anyone can help :(

T

TheGeeza

Do you have any overclocking software installed like evga precision x or palit thundermaster?

steaky360

You have so far only mentioned a couple of games which exhibit issues, I'd suggest (if you can) trying a few other games and maybe even some benchmarks to see if you can replicate the problem.

If its a faulty GPU you should see the same issues cropping up on most games you play and in the benchmarks. If you don't then its likely to be a different issue.

I appreciate you're seeing issues in 3 (??) games just now though so I guess its looking more likely that something could be awry. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that its a hardware issue just yet though.

If you do see the same issues cropping up, request an RMA from PCS, point them to this thread (it might help them by knowing what you've already tried) and then they can sort a new GPU for you if its required :)

VenatoS

You have so far only mentioned a couple of games which exhibit issues, I'd suggest (if you can) trying a few other games and maybe even some benchmarks to see if you can replicate the problem.

If its a faulty GPU you should see the same issues cropping up on most games you play and in the benchmarks. If you don't then its likely to be a different issue.

I appreciate you're seeing issues in 3 (??) games just now though so I guess its looking more likely that something could be awry. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that its a hardware issue just yet though.

If you do see the same issues cropping up, request an RMA from PCS, point them to this thread (it might help them by knowing what you've already tried) and then they can sort a new GPU for you if its required :)

You might be right.. I'll try out some more games + benchmarks.
I just thought it wouldn't be normal for a GPU to behave that way... as in using only 50-75% of it and the weird graphical issues on Sniper Elite v2