GPU upgrade.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Looking for some advice on upgrading my AMD 5870 GPU.
I kind of dived in yesterday and ordered a GTX 760,I'm having second thoughts now as I overlooked the new AMD graphics cards.
Now thinking maybe the AMD R9 280X might have been a better choice?
Any opinions much appreciated, :)

Deklore

Bright Spark
If your upgrading now I would go for a R9 280X. Its basically a 7970 Ghz Edition (and can be crossfired with an HD 7970).

Its a bit more expensive than the GTX760 but has almost comparable performance to a GTX770. You can get a Sapphire 3GB GDDR5 for less than £260 which compared to the pricing and performance of a GTX760 and GTX770 is the best bang for your buck.

EDIT - but being a Radeon card it doesn't have onboard PhysX if your interested in that stuff. (as per my thread in the gaming section) :)

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If your upgrading now I would go for a R9 280X. Its basically a 7970 Ghz Edition (and can be crossfired with an HD 7970).

Its a bit more expensive than the GTX760 but has almost comparable performance to a GTX770. You can get a Sapphire 3GB GDDR5 for less than £260 which compared to the pricing and performance of a GTX760 and GTX770 is the best bang for your buck.

EDIT - but being a Radeon card it doesn't have onboard PhysX if your interested in that stuff. (as per my thread in the gaming section) :)
Not really interested in PhysX,can you link me to where you seen the comparison between the 760 and R9 280X,the sites I use don't seem to list the new AMD cards yet.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-r9-280x-r9-270x-r7-260x,review-32796-9.html

There are benckmarks for other games in this review. The link is for BF3
Ah,thanks a lot,going to change the order,not sure if it will be okay with PCS though as the 760 is due for delivery tomorrow,I'll give them a call and ask anyway.
I would need to upgrade the PSU for the 770 and I'm not really keen on doing that,so if possible I'll change it to the R9 280X or maybe even the 7970,lol,decisions decisions. :)

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The R9-280X seems pretty good value for money, I am sure you can exchange it but you may need to pay for the return postage and delivery cost for the new order.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
The R9-280X seems pretty good value for money, I am sure you can exchange it but you may need to pay for the return postage and delivery cost for the new order.
Yeah,I know that will probably be the case,my own fault really for diving in too quick.