GPU's are what really matter right?

I'm getting laptop soon and I'm wanting one with a good enough GPU to last a while, so I'm getting the Vortex III LE with a Nvidia GTX 660M 1.5 GDDR5. Other than that I'm getting the Ivy Bridge core i5 2.6GHz and 4GB of 1600MHz RAM (will eventually upgrade to 8GB), am I right in thinking that the GPU is the thing that really matters, and that as long as you have a good enough CPU you'll be able to run most games??

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
4Gb of RAM really isn't enough in the days of Windows 7 64bit computing imho.

All I have open is half a dozen IE9 tabs and Steam in the system tray and I'm using 2.13Gb of RAM already.

RAM prices are on the floor atm and there is no reason not to spec your system with more than 4Gb.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
4GB of RAM still does me perfectly well,I havent seen a game yet that requires any more although I've heard mention of it.I can have numerous applications open as well as browsing the net with no problems.
Having said that I agree it's probably well worth getting 8GB as it doesn't cost much anyway.:)

Last edited:

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
Just seems foolish to spend money on a reasonable 3rd Gen CPU and half-decent upper-midrange GPU, then cripple it with what is fast approaching to be the bare minimum amount of RAM for a gaming system.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Remember Windows will utilize more RAM if you've got it, all I'm running is Chrome & iTunes and a couple of random background (Steam, Skype etc) & I'm using 3GB of RAM out of 16GB, I'm pretty sure if it was using that on 4GB of RAM you'd be buggered ha.

I was always going to upgrade my RAM to 8GB eventually, I'm getting 1x4GB and was going to stick another in after a while when I had more money again.. :)

Also, the 1GB CTX 660M is pretty good isn't it?? It's better than the GT 650M isn't it? How long until it won't be able to cope with game graphics, even on low settings, would you say??