Graphics FPS playing Metro 2033? Vortex III

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
Playing this game on my new Vortex III and set all to high, not sure what some of the options are and getting 20-30 fps.
If I lower the res and a few setting I get approx 30-35 fps.

Now does this seem right, I was expecting more to be honest.

Installed a game called Endless space (free to try) and that was getting 5 fps.

Counter Strike runs in the 100's at max setting and res.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Metro 2033 is horribly optimized, I was getting about 15fps on ultra on my 570, which is lower than any other game ive played

Dont know about Endless Space as Ive never played it, it may not be very well optimized either

To try and squeeze a few extra fps out of it, have a look for driver updates for your graphics chip

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
Ok just been to "can you run it" site and it says I can not play metro as I only have an intel 4000 graphics!!!

Why has it not detected to 7970m? It shows up in device manager as all working.

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ok just been to "can you run it" site and it says I can not play metro as I only have an intel 4000 graphics!!!

Why has it not detected to 7970m? It sows up in device manager as all working.
The "can you run it" site though useful,is far from perfect,it's not unusual for it to detect components incorrectly,it doesn't mean anything is wrong with your machine.

Last edited:

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
It is reporting correctly as I believe the Vortex does also have an Intel integrated chip.

How do I know if the 7970m is being used by a game and not the intel 4000?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster

Why has it not detected to 7970m? It shows up in device manager as all working.

It may be some kind of Optimus feature, which only turns on the graphics card when a game is started, to save power and battery, and as the site is not a game, it probably can't activate it

But like Vanthus said, it is far from perfect

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
It is reporting correctly as I believe the Vortex does also have an Intel integrated chip.

How do I know if the 7970m is being used by a game and not the intel 4000?
Yes I realise that,what I'm saying is "can you run it" is not detecting the 7970m,but that doesn't mean to say the 7970m is not working.

Last edited:

steaky360

I always thought metro typically ran better on amd graphics than nVidia! Which I thought was ironic when nVidia get advertised in the intro lol.

kruppsy

Master
20-30fps on Metro 2033, ultra settings, with your card is what you'd expect with the 7970m, which might not be what you wanted to hear mate!

Scroll to the bottom of this page to see a Metro 2033 benchmark with the 7970m. http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970M.72675.0.html

Only high end desktop cards seem to be able to get above 40fps, its a known GPU eater.

When the 7970m was first released there were some issues with its Enduro switching system, but as far as I was aware they have been ironed out with the latest drivers so It shouldnt be picking the integrated gpu for games. For peace of mind I think you can force the dedicated to run all the time in CCC options.

Here's an article talking about the issue before the release of the latest drivers so you can see your card's history, apols if you've already read about it. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6353/testing-amds-hd-7970m-enduro-hotfix

Keithg

Enthusiast
There are a couple of specific options in metro that kill fps, ambient occlusion being one of them.
As said above metro is not well optimized but there are plenty of sites that can suggest how to get the best performance and visual quality.

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
Thank you for your help, so not a good game for high FPS.

What is a good FPS before a game starts to get jumpy?

steaky360

60FPS is the magic number quoted for most PC gamers but obviously console games run at 30FPS. Its really dependant on personal preference I think depending on your set up (monitor etc.).

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Thank you for your help, so not a good game for high FPS.

What is a good FPS before a game starts to get jumpy?

That depends on your eyesight, i think its unique to everyone, some people find a game choppy if it gets below 60 and some find it choppy when it drops below 30, so 30 is probably the minimum, use FRAPS free version to see what fps your getting in metro 2033, you can also do the metro benchmark

Keithg

Enthusiast
It is not just the high FPS that is important. 30FPS constant is fine for me but if I am playing a game that goes from 60 - 30fps I will notice. So if I cant get a stable 60fps I will limit the upper end.
As for the ideal it can depend on the game, twitch games such as call of duty are built around 60fps whereas other games don't require this, like rpgs (skyrim)

Most console games are 30fps so it is certainly playable, the only notable exceptions (that I cant remember) to this are call of duty and forza motorsport

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
I installed FRAPS and I get the below.

"Playing this game on my new Vortex III and set all to high, not sure what some of the options are and getting 25-30fps.
If I lower the res and a few setting I get approx 30-35fps."

Keithg

Enthusiast
I wouldnt lower the resolution. The limiting factor with that tends to be GPU memory/bandwidth and you will have more than enough of both.
Certainly play with the settings but keep it at 1920x1080, you paid for the pretty.