Graphics Issues

ChrisByatt

Silver Level Poster
Ok, so I've got windows installed on my build, but I can only connect a screen to my computer when it's plugged into the DVI-D on boot (the slot on my graphics card). It doesn't work if I use HDMI or any of the connectors on the MOBO... Any ideas?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
The onboard graphics will be disabled,you should only need to use your dedicated card.

ChrisByatt

Silver Level Poster
Ok now I've installed the drivers for my card and windows won't boot... goes past starting windows thing then all goes black...

It's asking me to launch startup repair.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Did you disable the onboard graphics in device manager before installing the dedicated GPU.
once that's done install the drivers for the dedicated card.

Last edited:

Blackdog

Bright Spark
Are you using the right slot for your hdmi when using sli? That's all I could suggest for the display issue. If you still can't boot perhaps unplug the sat cable going to your GPU s one by one. Hopefully someone will chime in. Otherwise give pcs a call in the morning

ChrisByatt

Silver Level Poster
Did you disable the onboard graphics in device manager before installing the dedicated GPU.

Ok I'll give that a go and report back - thanks. I ran startup repair and now it's gone back to before I installed the nvidia drivers again.

I still don't understand why only one port works for the monitor across my 670 and integrated ports on the mobo..

ChrisByatt

Silver Level Poster
Are you using the right slot for your hdmi when using sli? That's all I could suggest for the display issue. If you still can't boot perhaps unplug the sat cable going to your GPU s one by one. Hopefully someone will chime in. Otherwise give pcs a call in the morning

I'm not in SLI yet - figured I'd try with one card before messing around with two.

And my second card hasn't arrived yet lol.

ChrisByatt

Silver Level Poster
Note to self, make sure windows update doesn't update intel graphics in future or you'll have to start again.

£$)*ing windows update.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Note to self, make sure windows update doesn't update intel graphics in future or you'll have to start again.

£$)*ing windows update.
Windows update shouldn't do this if you select download or check for updates but let me choose whether to install them.
Personally I have it set to "never check for updates" and run it once a month.
Glad disabling the onboard graphics worked for you. :)

Last edited:

ChrisByatt

Silver Level Poster
Windows update shouldn't do this if you select download or check for updates but let me choose whether to install them.
Personally I have it set to "never check for updates" and run it once a month.
Glad disabling the onboard graphics worked for you. :)

I did have that - I always do - there were just over 100 updates so I didn't go through them properly... :(

PokerFace

Banned

While we are on this topic:
If you disable onboard graphics or your motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics and you haven't got a graphics card fitted (yet), how do you get anything on your monitor to be able to then install stuff? I presume there's a kind of basic onboard graphics of some sort on all mobo's, is that correct?

steaky360

All mobo's with integrated graphics cards perhaps. It's like if you have your graphics card plugged in but have no drivers installed for it I guess.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
While we are on this topic:
If you disable onboard graphics or your motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics and you haven't got a graphics card fitted (yet), how do you get anything on your monitor to be able to then install stuff? I presume there's a kind of basic onboard graphics of some sort on all mobo's, is that correct?
As far as I know if no graphics device is detected by the BIOS then no display will appear,probably all you will get is a "post beep" code error.Windows will use it's own basic drivers for any graphics device it detects,allowing you to install the necessary drivers,If no operating system is installed,the system BIOS executes the video BIOS, which initializes the video adapter and enables minimal tasks such as reading text,but new motherboards are improving on this.
Also,If you have no onboard graphics or dedicated graphics card,there would be nowhere to connect your monitor.

Last edited: