GRID Vs NFS Shift ?

Deklore

Bright Spark
Anyone played both these games?

Looking to get one of them and cant decide between them. I know neither are on sale at the moment, but hankering for a racing game (not F1 or kart) and cant decide between them.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Unfortunately I've only played Grid 1 + 2, haven't played NFS for years although heard Shift 2 was very good. I assume you're talking about Grid 2 though so will try to assist. I was a big fan of the first one, played a lot of the career, played a lot online, loved it. Grid 2 was a bit of a disappointment, they took out in-car view, took out most of the real tracks other than 1 or 2 and basically made it extremely arcade'y. I played about 10 races in career and got bored. Played about 20 online and also got bored, the ranking up system online was so unfair on new players and it was basically who could afford the best upgrades for their car rather than genuine skill.

If you're looking for a RACING game, then I would steer clear of Grid. It's not on the same level or even genre as something like Forza or GT. If you're looking for an arcadey driving game, then it might be the one for you. I had heard shift 2 was very good at handling, etc though so it may be the better choice.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Actually referring to either Grid 1 or 2 (probably 1 at the moment as its a bit cheaper). Kinda looking for those racing games that straddle the line between sim/arcade. Hows the handling in the Grid games? responsive? I take it when you say they made Grid 2 arcadey is because they changed the way the cars drive?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Yea I think Grid2 is about £18 at the moment.

Grid1 had a fantastic career mode, good mix of car types, fun handling, etc. You still had to brake and ease on the revs coming out of corners but nowhere near that of a sim-game. You could still throw them round corners if you forgot to brake and the cars reacted well, plus there was clear advantages of sticking to the racing line rather than just powersliding round bends.

Grid 2 was similar but they made the racing lane a lot less important. You could take a corner in pretty much any way and it would make no difference. And the drift cars on there which you actually start the career using were only quick if you drifted them, even if it was only a slight bend that you could slow down for and take cleanly. That's mainly the reason people disliked it to be honest, they took away the skill aspect of taking corners properly and replaced it with drift heaven.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Thanks Grimezy. You've helped me decide to give Grid a shot, certainly sounds good, then i may consider other racers during the next Steam sale :)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
If you're after more of a sim then I've heard Race Room is pretty good. It's free on steam and basically you can purchase cars + tracks, etc if you get bored of the free ones.

If you're just after a casual game then I don't think you can go wrong with Grid or Shift. Or have you considered Dirt 3? Fantastic game if you like Rally cars :)

Deklore

Bright Spark
Not really into the more sim type racers out there but for free i may check out Race Room. Then if i start to enjoy the more hardcore racers, i might take a look at F1 2013. The last F1 game i played was Microprose Grand Prix 2 which may be before your time! lol

Truth be told, will probably end up getting Dirt3 (and Shift) during the Steam sales. Currently just looking for something to tide me over for the next wee while that isnt too heavy.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
F1 2013 is honestly really good. I've only played a couple of times but did the Australian grand prix last night and really enjoyed it. The AI were perfect and in a 15 lap race, 4 of us pretty much fought it out for the last 5-6 laps all doing identical pace and struggling to gain any ground on each other (something I have never experienced in a racing game before, normally it's just brake late, fly past!). The cars are also easy to control and it's not like a sim at all unless you want to start tuning your car and everything.

The cons though... Need to dedicate a good amount of time to each race, no point in jumping straight into the race without making an effort to learn the track in practice and then qualify well. There are mid-session saves now during practice sessions, etc but I do like to get it all done in one go if I can. The other con is you're always used the same kind of car and there isn't really much variety.

If you're an F1 fan though there really isn't a better racing game to buy. I'm the kind of person who loves perfecting every corner and watching myself get green sector times as I'm on a hot lap and mastering every apex. On most racing games you don't really get that experience. So yes, it's a very precise game that requires a bit of patience, but it's not sim-like at all :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I can't stand the Shift games personally, and I'm a big big NFS fan. Although I think GRID is pretty good, haven't had a chance to play the second one yet though

Deklore

Bright Spark
I think i'll be looking to get F1 2013 when it goes on sale. Certainly looks pretty interesting.

Just d'loaded Grid last night. I can get into the game fine but cant load a race. It gets stuck on the loading screen and doesnt proceed.
I have the latest DirectX drivers so I googled this problem and found that some people with Intel i7s had a problem with the game recognising more than 4 cores, but my cpu is an i5 4570.

Any suggestions?

rickne

Master Poster
16 QUID AT INXEUS.US :)

Grid is awesome , Shift 2 tries to be a sim but it still isnt. Not to say it isnt a good racer but Grid is better. Just started F1 2013 and while it feels alot like 2012 , the cars handle a lot more like wild animals. Even with assists they need to be tamed.

I know Wozza is a big arcade racer fan and not bad at it either. Shift isn't like Most wanted or The Run. As mentioned above it tries to tap into the semi sim genre. I would check RACE 07 for harder game play. Race Room is trash. But as you seem to of gone the Grid route youve made a decent decision anyway.

Last edited:

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I think i'll be looking to get F1 2013 when it goes on sale. Certainly looks pretty interesting.

Just d'loaded Grid last night. I can get into the game fine but cant load a race. It gets stuck on the loading screen and doesnt proceed.
I have the latest DirectX drivers so I googled this problem and found that some people with Intel i7s had a problem with the game recognising more than 4 cores, but my cpu is an i5 4570.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried verifying the game cache in Steam?

Deklore

Bright Spark
Thanks for the suggestion Booz. I was home at lunchtime and tried the "i7 8 core" fix even though i only have an i5 and it worked! Played like 30secs of it to make sure all was ok. Looking forward to getting my teeth into it when i get home after work!:yes:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
16 QUID AT INXEUS.US :)

Grid is awesome , Shift 2 tries to be a sim but it still isnt. Not to say it isnt a good racer but Grid is better. Just started F1 2013 and while it feels alot like 2012 , the cars handle a lot more like wild animals. Even with assists they need to be tamed.

I know Wozza is a big arcade racer fan and not bad at it either. Shift isn't like Most wanted or The Run. As mentioned above it tries to tap into the semi sim genre. I would check RACE 07 for harder game play. Race Room is trash. But as you seem to of gone the Grid route youve made a decent decision anyway.

I like all racing games, I like GRID, Race 07 and really want to get a steering wheel for some proper simulators

Shift 2 might be alright, I've never played it but I hated the 1st one

I actually got every achievement on Forza 3 :D all of them

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I like all racing games, I like GRID, Race 07 and really want to get a steering wheel for some proper simulators

Shift 2 might be alright, I've never played it but I hated the 1st one

Was Forza 3 the one with the Delorean achievement reaching that speed that he needed to go to time travel thingy-ma-bobby?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Was Forza 3 the one with the Delorean achievement reaching that speed that he needed to go to time travel thingy-ma-bobby?

Thats Driver San Franscisco, and yes its the Delorean from Back to the Future

Forza 3 is probably the closest thing to a realistic sim on Xbox 360. Basically the XB equivalent of Gran Turismo

bigben

Master Poster

WOW. I put A LOT of time into that game and only had 46 / 50.
Still needed to get 100k drift points, gold in every single race, 6th year in single and one car from every manufacturer.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
WOW. I put A LOT of time into that game and only had 46 / 50.
Still needed to get 100k drift points, gold in every single race, 6th year in single and one car from every manufacturer.

The drift was the only difficult one I had to do, I had to finish the 6th season too, which is possible but takes ages. After days of drifting, I managed to complete it

It helps if you have it manual possibly with clutch