GTA V On My Laptop.

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
So I'm about to fork out on GTA V to play on my laptop. However, I don't want to waste £40 if it's going to run like crap, or have poor graphics.
My spec is in my sig. I already have the game on 360 & One, and don't really want to bother spending money on it, if it's likely to run at a lower graphic level than the One.
Thanks!

LFFPicard

Godlike
It most likely will play but you will need to put most of the settings to medium, bear in mind though that you have a lot more flexibility in the graphics settings on a PC o you might be able to up the detail and reduce the view distance etc.

Unfortunately it is a case of you wont know until you try, you can probably get it playing as good as X1, but you might be able to tweak it to run better by sacrificing some distance or AA

EDIT: As above, just looking ta the video preview it is on 33fps, X1 runs it at 30fps. The question is tweaking the settings to make it look nice but run smooth for you.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
My 850M which is worse than yours plays it pretty nicely. Reduced settings, but still max draw distance and good fps. And it still looked better than 360 version for me :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It hasn't gone down in price on Steam. They have only discounted the version bundled with a shark card which is money for the online mode. Being bundled with a micro-transaction means that you can not get the game refunded on Steam if you wanted to, which makes it pointless spending more going through Steam. It is available for under £29 on G2A. You will need to say you are in a different country outside the EU if you don't want to pay tax.

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
Well I bought it. And it's running really well. High settings and 1080p. What's the deal with mods then? I want to install some, but will they adversely affect the performance of the game? GTA IV mods seem to really slow down my game. And will I get banned for using them?

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well I bought it. And it's running really well. High settings and 1080p. What's the deal with mods then? I want to install some, but will they adversely affect the performance of the game? GTA IV mods seem to really slow down my game. And will I get banned for using them?

Apparently some people were banned for using mods. It is recommended that if you are using mods then you shouldn't let your copy access online at all. I think you can have 2 copies installed at once, but I'm not too sure how. I believe that is how NerdCubed does it.

As for performance, it depends entirely on the mod and what the mod is doing. A graphics enhancement mod is likely to cause a huge hit on performance but other mods that may just be small tweaks to game mechanics would not really have any noticeable effect. Unless the mod was really badly made. Having lots of mods also tends to cause stability and performance issues as all the little increases in power required add up to a huge amount.

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
I might give the mods a miss for the time being then.
Another question I have, is my CPU seems to run at turbo speed all the time whilst playing GTA V, is this safe?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I might give the mods a miss for the time being then.
Another question I have, is my CPU seems to run at turbo speed all the time whilst playing GTA V, is this safe?

Yes it's fine. Turbo clock is only used when it is 100% safe to do so. So if your temeperatures hit the safe limit then the clock will be lowered. As long as you allow the laptop a decent airflow you will have no problem. Don't rest it on a pillow or anything soft as it restricts airflow too much.

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
Yes it's fine. Turbo clock is only used when it is 100% safe to do so. So if your temeperatures hit the safe limit then the clock will be lowered. As long as you allow the laptop a decent airflow you will have no problem. Don't rest it on a pillow or anything soft as it restricts airflow too much.

It's always on my Targus Cooling Mat with fans in, so always has good air flow. I'm going to attempt to clean the fans and things today, as I've not done it since I bought it.
I've installed HW Monitor, and the Max temp was 86, which does seem high...

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It's always on my Targus Cooling Mat with fans in, so always has good air flow. I'm going to attempt to clean the fans and things today, as I've not done it since I bought it.
I've installed HW Monitor, and the Max temp was 86, which does seem high...

It's good that you have a cooling mat, that will allow it to use the boost speeds. 86 is fine for a laptop. They are designed to run at higher temperatures compared to desktops generally. It is near the limit though. I wouldn't want it much higher than 90c and the software should automatically lower the clock speeds at around that temperature anyway.

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
It's good that you have a cooling mat, that will allow it to use the boost speeds. 86 is fine for a laptop. They are designed to run at higher temperatures compared to desktops generally. It is near the limit though. I wouldn't want it much higher than 90c and the software should automatically lower the clock speeds at around that temperature anyway.

Checked Intels site, and 100 is the max for my CPU. HWMonitor doesn't seem to show GPU temps though, any software you can recommend that will?
I've just bought some Dust Off from Costco and cleaned my fans. They weren't that bad though tbh.