GTX 580 1.5GB or GTX 580 3GB

I have seen some benchmark tests showing that the 1.5 runs better in SLI (for most games) on 1 1920x1080 monitor but that was some time ago now. I was wondering if through various driver updates the 3GB has gotten better and if it would perform better over 3 monitors.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I honestly think the 3gb version will run alot better over 3 screens.

Frenchy has two 3gb palit gtx 580's on three screen, not heard any problems from him about them.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I do indeed :D, 3 screens id say 3GB is a must, I mean its not but it should be lol. When you start getting to big resolutions your going to start ruinning out of VRAM, as soon as you hit that 1.5GB limit your fps will drop like a tonne of bricks. Having that extra head room witht he 3GB means you wont run out for a few years tbh. I have seen my VRAM peak at around 2.1GB a few times and even higher when rendering so deffinately id have been screwed had I gone 1.5GB cards.

Ive not actuallyheard of any performance loss with 3GB over 1.5GB in sli, dont honestly see why there would be, only possible reason would be that it cant mirror the 3GB via sli quick enough, but then my Quadro 6000's in sli wouldnt be happy either as theyre 6GB each lol

ekeis

Ummm, what about have 2 580 GTX for 3 screens playing games at max res? That's allright? Never thought about it, my pc is built now and awaiting dispatch. So if that's not really safe, it would be good idea to get a 3rd 580GTX at some other point?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
2 GTX580s will pretty much max out any game on 3 monitors and a few higher ones may slightly struggle at max getting a lower fps

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Ummm, what about have 2 580 GTX for 3 screens playing games at max res? That's allright? Never thought about it, my pc is built now and awaiting dispatch. So if that's not really safe, it would be good idea to get a 3rd 580GTX at some other point?

3rd 580 would make small amount of difference. 2 580's will run anything, I havent had a game that doesnt. The only struggle ive had is running FSX on full which is a cpu issue, and crysis on full with the high res texture pack and with maxed out AA, this runs at about 23 fps so just unplayable. Turning down AA makes it absolutley fine. You wont notice the difference between AA levels really, not most of the time anyway.