Guys! Can you check this for me?

Hi! I'm considering buying this system.
I would be installing Win XP Pro 64-bit on it, and also adding a CoolerMaster Mega-Flow 200mm fan to the top, and a BC series 140mm Red LED Quiet fan to the side panel.

What I need to know is A) will XP run on it?
and B) will the top case fan fit if the H80 is inside the case. If it won't, could I put the H80 on the outside of the case?

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD FX-4170 Quad Core CPU (4.20GHz/4MB CACHE/AM3+)
Motherboard
ASUS® M5A97 R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s, Windows 8 Ready!)
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1866MHz X.M.P(2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
2GB AMD RADEON™ HD7870 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD5003AZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£69)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
DUAL-BAND WIRELESS 802.11N 450Mbps PCI-E CARD (£35)
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Quantity

Price: £716.00 including VAT and delivery.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Is it just for gaming? If you are planning to overclock your cpu I would consider the FX-6300. You may want to consider at least silver warranty for £5.

I'm not planning on overclocking. I'll mainly be using FSX , hence the choice of the 4.2GHz Processor! I wondered if it would be better to use the triple copper heatpipe AMD cooler instead, as I've seen some videos that show that you can't fit a top fan if you use the H80 in this case.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If you are not overclocking your cpu you wouldn't need the H80. The triple copper heatpipe will be fine at stock clock speed.

Thanks :) In terms of the GPU, is the HD7870 a decent card? I know there are OC versions out there by Gigabyte and Sapphire and so on, but having it pre-installed would really help, and I think the 1Ghz+ clock speed is pretty impressive anyway. Thoughts?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Thanks :) In terms of the GPU, is the HD7870 a decent card? I know there are OC versions out there by Gigabyte and Sapphire and so on, but having it pre-installed would really help, and I think the 1Ghz+ clock speed is pretty impressive anyway. Thoughts?
The HD7870 is a very good card and will handle any game out at the moment.
Much as I like windows XP myself,I still use it on my other desktop,you should consider upgrading to windows 7,it really is a big improvement,and you might have problems finding compatible drivers for XP on your new rig.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
The reason I want to put XP on is simply because there are many compatibility issues with FSX and Win7. XP runs it much better!
Never seen anyone on the forums mention issues running FSX with windows7,I think you would have a lot more problems with drivers than anything else,but your choice.:)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Hm.. I've had many issues personally! So Win7 would be better?
Windows XP is pretty old hat now,I considered installing it on my new rig,well,two years old now,but couldn't find compatible drivers for quite a few of the devices.I'm pretty sure windows 7 would be a better choice.You could always try running older games in compatibility mode,it's always worked for me.

I'll take your word on that one! :) How do you run in compatibility mode? Also, will Win7 Pro have any advantage at running older programs over Home Premium? I'm wondering if "XP mode" is really worth it

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I'll take your word on that one :) How do you run in compatibility mode?

Right click the exe file of the game/properties/compatibility,you will then have various options to run the game in compatibility mode for previous versions of windows and also the option to lower the resolution can sometimes help.