Had PC 2 days, now won't boot!

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
:(

My new PCS machine arrived on 13/8, just got everything running how I wanted it and now... It won't boot :(

I had some problems with a windows update, it came up with a "failure configuring updates... Resetting changes" error and hung there for a while. I rang pcs and the guy said turn it off and on.. Which I did, he said it would have installed the necessary updates, but when I checked they were still showing as failed and lots of important security updates so I decided to try installing them again. All seemed to go ok , went upstairs while it was configuring... Then I came down to find the PC trying to start itself, over and over, in an endless loop. The light comes on, the fan starts whirring, and then it all dies again, after just a couple of seconds. ARgh!

I admit to being clueless when it comes to the innards of a computer, have never actually opened one up to fiddle at all, so I have no idea what I'm doing, and pcs are now shut, I guess I'll be calling them in the morning to request a RMA :(

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd suggest going for a clean OS install. Using the win 7 or win 8 disc in your welcome pack. You will find Instructions should be in the welcome booklet.

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
I'm not sure how I would manage that considering the computer won't stay on for more than approx 2 seconds.

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
Ok, I got as far as safe mode, system restored to yesterday, then tried running windows update again. It installed some updates, then blue screened. I restarted got back to desktop, blue screened again, this time it stuck on the screen so I turned it off and on. Now though it is back to square one, won't stay on long enough and I can't get back into safe mode.. If I could only get back to the select boot device screen I'd give reinstalling windows a go. Just unplugged it to come back and try again in a little while..

Last edited:

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Ok, I got as far as safe mode, system restored to yesterday, then tried running windows update again. It installed some updates, then blue screened. I restarted got back to desktop, blue screened again, this time it stuck on the screen so I turned it off and on. Now though it is back to square one, won't stay on long enough and I can't get back into safe mode.. If I could only get back to the select boot device screen I'd give reins felling windows a go. Just unplugged it to come back and try again in a little while..

Try a fresh install. Go into the bios and make it boot from the DVD drive first, then put the windows disk in and restard the PC. It just sounds like your OS has mucked up.

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
I agree that it needs a reinstall, but the problem now is that I can't get into the bios, because the machine won't stay on long enough for the keyboard to light up. It's literally coming on for 1 second, fans start whirring and then off, over and over and over. I've tried unplugging for a while and then trying again. I'm calling pcs as soon as their lines open, hoping they have some more ideas! I'm really gutted after a month wait for the PC to arrive that I can't use it. I know this isn't pcs' fault as it's a windows thing, but still!

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for the heads-up on that. I usually delay Windows updates for a few days at least, hoping to avoid dodgy updates. I don't know if it helps or not.

My machine is going back for RMA next week as after spending ages on the phone to PCS today, we got it running to the point that it's no longer shutting off immediately after switching on, but it also isn't sending any signal to the monitor or keyboard, and there is no post beep.

Anyway, the first thing I will do when I get it back is disable automatic updates!!

PCS think it's a hardware fault, but we'll see. It seems too much of a coincidence that the one time I did manage to get it into safe mode and system restored, it then booted normally until I tried to update windows again. (Why oh why)

PokerFace

Banned
Sorry to hear you can't resolve this problem. Let us know how you get on.

I'm currently downloading Windows updates, so wish me luck! :eek: I checked the list for that dodgy update but it's not there, so hopefully all will be well.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
After reading the thread, I checked my recent updates and definitely saw one that was in that MS thread you posted. I haven't had any issues as yet (touch wood), but I have certainly had it happen before where a single update has bollocksed my PC :( Never fun. Hopefully PCS can rectify that hardware problem and all will be tickety boo :)

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
After reading the thread, I checked my recent updates and definitely saw one that was in that MS thread you posted. I haven't had any issues as yet (touch wood), but I have certainly had it happen before where a single update has bollocksed my PC :( Never fun. Hopefully PCS can rectify that hardware problem and all will be tickety boo :)

Yeah it's only affecting certain machines it seems, my laptop is up to date and fine (but is running 32-bit Win 7)

I am pretty sure KB2982791 was in the list of updates I installed before my PC crashed the second time.

According to that thread MS has pulled 2 offending updates from Win 7 and 2 from Win 8.

It is a bit strange to get a hardware fault at the same time. I suppose we'll see what PCS say when they get it back. I'll update here when I hear anything!

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
Still no news on whether my rma has been approved, it's supposed to be being collected tomorrow but with no news I don't know if it will be.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Still no news on whether my rma has been approved, it's supposed to be being collected tomorrow but with no news I don't know if it will be.
As PCS phone lines are down you could try contacting DPD to see if a collection has been arranged.

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
That's a good idea, I'll try that.

Honestly at this point I am so fed up. Starting to wish I had never used PCS. The order/production process was a nightmare from start to finish and now I'm stuck with a computer I can't use.

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
Ok, now it am getting angry. They declined my RMA, saying I just need to reinstall windows. How am I supposed to do that when I have no signal to my monitor, no post and no keyboard input???

steaky360

Ok, now it am getting angry. They declined my RMA, saying I just need to reinstall windows. How am I supposed to do that when I have no signal to my monitor, no post and no keyboard input???

If you can (if the phones are back open) give them a call to discuss it, perhaps they didn't notice that ?

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
I just did, they've asked me to put in another RMA and it will be dealt with as priority. I hope it can be as I really need this computer for my work. There's only so much you can do on an iPad mini...