Haha

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
has anyone seen the advert for the AOL computercheckup £50 per month after trial? you must be kidding, you must be crazy to pay for that when there are free programs such as CCleaner and defraggler which probably do a better job anyway

computercheckup.co.uk

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Problem is wozza, you are a computer genius compared to most people, especially older people. If you told my grandparents or even parents to use such programs they would strees beyond belief incase they did something wrong, even thougyh they all use computers for internet, email, word processing. Youll find that most people know how to use the programs they need but beyond that dont know what theyre doing with a pc.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yes yes i know that, the thing i hate is that these companies create these programs and con the people who do not understand this stuff, its wrong

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I wouldnt necesserily say most con people tbh, £50 a month may seem alot to someone who knows about computers however some would find £50 to be quite a fair price to keep their computer in fully working condition.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Still, even paying for a company to set windows up correctly so it handles half this stuff for you is worth it for someone who has no idea about computers, id say £39.95 a year is worth it depending on the product tbh, I cant say ive read up on what theyre offering so cant comment fully, but in general having a service where non computer savvy people can make sure their computer keeps running without the hasstle of reinstalling windows every so often is great, its not like £40 is breakuing the bank for a years service.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
the probably is those dodgy companies like PCWorld will recommend it and probably install it in some computers like they do with Norton

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I have to disagree, yes I know you can google this sort of stuff, but Im not quite sure you understand how scared people are of breaking their computers, my mum uses the computer everyday to do work, send emails etc etc, but as soon as any popup appears, its panic mode.

Now I know most of us would go on goolge if we are unsure of something, however many people dont want to have to install all these priograms seperatley, let alone learn how to run any of them, and figure out what any results from the rpograms mean. I know these programs dont offer anything over the free in terms of functionality, however they do offer an all in one, no hasstle package which doesnt scare people.

I know id much rather install my own programs etc however I know that people such as my gran, my parents, some of my parents friends who literally know how to check email and read pages on the net would much rather have ione single program that does what all the above free programs do, and wouldnt mind paying a small sum of money for that peace of mind.

Also you say information is easily available, now I agree that most of us know how to look for information on the web, again I refer back to my mum, who uses the computer for email, photos, skype, and occasional browsing of places like M+S or banking website. Ask her to look something up on google and shes stumped as to what to type in the search bar. I think the intetrnet and computers in general are a lot more complicated for some than you imagine.

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
As I said i havent read about the product but U was pointing out that what you said about people being able to just go on google, do a bit of research and download the free good versions, isnt something that a lot of people would feel comfortable doing, and if this product does what those programs do but as an all in 1 solution for £35 then I think its worth it for those individuals.

I am not saying they need the product, but I am saying its a good alternative if they want all the functionality you mentioned in previous post but dont want to mess around installing multiple priducts, runnign multiple scans themseleves etc.

Rakk

The Awesome
As I said i havent read about the product but U was pointing out that what you said about people being able to just go on google, do a bit of research and download the free good versions, isnt something that a lot of people would feel comfortable doing, and if this product does what those programs do but as an all in 1 solution for £35 then I think its worth it for those individuals.

Gotta say I do agree with this.
For instance whenever my dad goes anywhere near his laptop he magically manages to break something, so now my mum has banned him from doing anything like installing anything at all :) (my brother normally ends up having to fix it, I live too far away to help)
So for people like my parents who don't have anyone who can help out with such things, it is a perfectly valid option (as long as it does what it claims).

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i do agree with Tom, if it does something to the registry, it may have a backup, which novices would have no hope of finding or it doesnt have one, meaning they could have a broken computer on their hands that they obviously know nothing about and then this causes them to have to pay for a repair

id much rather pay for AV than this

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
i do agree with Tom, if it does something to the registry, it may have a backup, which novices would have no hope of finding or it doesnt have one, meaning they could have a broken computer on their hands that they obviously know nothing about and then this causes them to have to pay for a repair

id much rather pay for AV than this

That wasnt the point though, the point was the comparison between a program that does it all for £35 and doesnt need any user knowledge, or several programs that need downloading, proibably need a bit of research into and which will confuse the average pc user. Im not saying they should get it as it is awesome software, I am simply stating that if this is something a user needs to do then the all in one £35 deal is great for those who have no idea about computers.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
how do you know its less confusing? all you need to type in is free pc speed up and it will come up with loads of results of all in one programs that all you need to do is press go! for all we know, there may be 100s of things you need to setup in the AOL one

Advanced System Care 5 Free is probably much better

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Im guessing you didnt bother to read any of my previous posts then wozza? Most people would have no clue where to start searching google for this kind of stuff, if its a package offered by companies like AOL, more than likley its a simple setup, thats the whole point of software like this.