Hard drive clicking noise

TheMightyChris901

Bronze Level Poster
Hello, when I load games/scan for viruses off my hard drive it makes a random clicking noise, its not very loud but its noticable. Like I said its random and I've had it for about a month but nothing is actually wrong with the hard drive, loading times haven't changed and nothing is being slow, just there is a clicking. Anyone know what it could be? I have a WD 1TB caviar black, thanks!

Fear

Prolific Poster
I have WD CB HDD's in my build and they have always made some clicking noises when they are busy doing things so I would not worry too much but if you have any important Data on there that you could not bear to loose then back it up, always a good idea to keep important Data backed up somewhere.

TheMightyChris901

Bronze Level Poster
Its fine then, I have an ssd and all my important stuff is on there and my hard drive is for games and big files. If the hard drive did stop working its one of the easier things that I could replace :)

I've had the PC for around 3 months.

mishra

Rising Star
Some clicking noises are just how some hard drives operate, but if there were no clicking noises before and just sudddenly appear then I would check the drive health. You can do that easily by using WD LifeGuard software (free).

Download link: http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx
.. and you can test your drive as per this guide: http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=940

Just be careful which option you choose (do NOT select "WRITE ZEROS") as it will wipe all your data, and there will be no way of getting it back! So please be warned.

Glissov

Bronze Level Poster
Could just be your hard drive waking up from idle (sleep) whats your power management settings configured too?
Otherwise I would not worry...you have a mechanical drive, the plates have to spin to access data and it will be working harder during times such as virus scans/loading, these are the intensive tasks.
Download yourself Spotify/some new music and you wont even notice the noise anymore.