Hard drive has disappeared from view in "Computer"

zMj

Hi all (right first of all apologies for posting in this section... my PC is a DESKTOP - but for some reason I'm allowed to post a new thread in every other area but there)

I bought a PC from PCS in June; I've had no problems so far and been very pleased but upon logging in this evening I got a warning message saying "C:/ Drive is low on space" (this is my SSD).

I thought that's kind of weird as I haven't installed anything big for a while and I also keep a buffer on my SSD.

However upon opening up "Computer" from the start menu its only showing me the SSD drive and should be showing me the 1TB Caviar which I can see in Device Manager...

I'm really confused by this so any help would be appreciated.

Again sorry for posting in the wrote subject area but for whatever reason I'm locked out of Desktops.

Thanks.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Check in disk management to see if the drive is showing there,
To open disk management in windows 8,
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/disk-management-windows-8.htm
For windows 7,click "Start"/right click"computer"/Manage/under "Storage"select "Disk Management",
or click "start" and type diskmgmt.msc in search box.
It's possible you only need to assign a Drive letter,If no letter is assigned for the drive,
right click on the bar of the drive in the lower half of the screen,
select "change drive letter and paths"
click on the Add button in the next menu to select a drive letter.
Click ok to assign selected drive letter or choose your own letter from the drop down menu.
If the drive is showing as unallocated,
right click on the black bar of the "unallocated drive",
click on "new simple volume"then follow the wizard.(this will delete all data)
check in "computer" to confirm missing drive is showing.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I've moved your thread to "Desktops."
Have you tried what I suggested.

Last edited:

zMj

Thanks for the move and the update guys I will try this tonight when I get in and let you know how I get on.

(Ps. The PC hasn't been moved since I set it up which is why this I find this so strange)

zMj

If the drive is showing as unallocated,
right click on the black bar of the "unallocated drive",
click on "new simple volume"then follow the wizard.(this will delete all data)
check in "computer" to confirm missing drive is showing.

Fixed! Thanks guys. Its possible the computer had always had no drive allocated but I could have sworn I'd seen it present before, anyway I didn't have anything installed on it so luckily the format didn't matter. Thanks very much for the help, much appreciated!