Hard drive installation help?

oli090

Enthusiast
I need help with installing my new hard drive. I am trying to put it in but I can't see how it fits into the slot. If anyone is as able is too help that would be great, my case is the Maelstrom T900 I think. I'm on my sister's kindle so I can't check sorry. It's a hdd not a sdd btw.

oli090

Enthusiast
I'm guess ing that came with the pcs box u get when you first order? If so it's in my garage at my other house and I can't get it anytime soon if not I don't have it.

oli090

Enthusiast
Ok. Thanks for all the help i found it by playing around and that video blackdog had the wrong kind of bays in but thanks anyway :) Next problem my HDD is in but it isnt showing up. Its a 3tb one and i remember seeing somewhere that i need to download some stuff? Any ideas?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ok. Thanks for all the help i found it by playing around and that video blackdog had the wrong kind of bays in but thanks anyway :) Next problem my HDD is in but it isnt showing up. Its a 3tb one and i remember seeing somewhere that i need to download some stuff? Any ideas?
Check in disk management to see if the drive/partition is showing there,
To open disk management in windows 8,
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/disk-management-windows-8.htm
For windows 7,click "Start"/right click"computer"/Manage/under "Storage"select "Disk Management",
or click "start" and type diskmgmt.msc in search box.
It's possible you only need to assign a Drive letter,If no letter is assigned for the drive,
right click on the bar of the drive in the lower half of the screen,
select "change drive letter and paths"
click on the Add button in the next menu to select a drive letter.
Click ok to assign selected drive letter or choose your own letter from the drop down menu.
If the drive is showing as unallocated,
right click on the black bar of the "unallocated drive",
click on "new simple volume"then follow the wizard.
check in "computer" to confirm missing drive is showing.

If it's not showing in disk management, check the drive isn't disabled in bios settings,
If it's not showing in bios check the sata & power connections to the hard drive & the sata port connection on the motherboard,one may have come loose.

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ok ive done all that but the hard drive says 1.99tb free of 1.99tb. Its a 3tb hard drive so what now?
I think the drive has to be reformatted as a GPT-formatted drive instead of an MBR-formatted drive. The old standard MBR partition tables can't describe a drive of over about 2TB.

Last edited:

oli090

Enthusiast
So i may not be able to use my 3tb hard drive? My motherboard is ASUS® M5A78L-M/USB3: M-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I got it! But it says its only 2.72tb? I bought a 3tb hard drive?
That's normal,windows will show a 3 TB hard disk as 2,793 GB (2.7 TB) or thereabouts.
windows uses a different counting method, binary as opposed to decimal. 1GB equals 1024MB where the manufacturer uses decimal,1000MB per 1GB.

Last edited:

oli090

Enthusiast
Ok that explains alot as my xbox hard drive i think uses the same :p Anyway thanks for all your help with this :)