Hard Drives: Green Vs Black

Phube

I'm at a loss to see what the difference is between the WD Green and Black 1TB HDs both SATA 6Gb/s. I see the Black has an rpm of 7,200 but not data seems to be around for the Green one.

One is more expensive, therefore I assume 'better', but how would it affect a PC to have one over the other?

Thanking you in advance...

Junglemanchild

Performance. The Black is optimized for performance at the expense of noise and power consumption, the blue is a general use drive, designed to be a good balance of performance, power consumption, and noise, and the green is designed to use as little power and make as little noise as possible at the expense of performance.

Corfate

Author Level
The Black one is faster for booting up so i've heard :) Best one, which people seem to suggest to people speccing up a machine :)

Phube

Cheers, but what actual performance effect would that mean for the PC. In terms of gaming, internetting and photo editing?

And aren't they all running at 6GB/s??

I'm a bit confused...

Teaz

Godlike
Not really much of a difference for their GBs as hdd dont really fully utilise all 6GBs so 3GBs is fine in the matter.

a caviar green drive has random spin times an doesnt have a constant spin like the caviar black so it uses less power as its designed to be energy efficient pretty much so they are more recommend as storage/backup drives and not really for boot up drive or for the OS. they can be used as the single boot up drive and such but they go a tad slow at times. Just go for the caviar black as the main drive. caviar green for the second or third+ etc etc

Rakk

The Awesome
Well, the green ones power down, and I don't believe spins up as fast as the Black even though it does have the ability to do so, its basically more energy efficient, eco-friendly and quieter.
Therefore green drives work very well as storage drives, but black ones work well as boot drives and a place for you games and most used stuff.

Note: this is what I think, it may be wrong!

Fear

Prolific Poster
I think the rpm for the green drives is 5400-7200 but you probably won't see anywhere near the 7200 rpm tbh.

Phube

So are we saying it will make just a difference to the loading speed of games, and slow my start-up?

Or will it slow the PC down generally? Doing everyday tasks/photo editing?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
A green will be slightly slower, better for storage and uses low power because it doesn't spin when not used.
A black will be slightly faster os, programs loading up ect, but noisy.