Hd6990m

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hello,

Just advise regarding my Graphics card the HD6990M in a Vortex II Laptop 15.6". I'm running games at 1080 and on ultra settings and my graphics card seems to be handling it fine. After a few hours of Red Alert 3 and Star Wars Old Republic the laptop is still cool in temprature and Fans or making noise but running at about 50 - 60% according to the gadget.

The GPU Load however if averagine out between 90% and 97%. My question is am i putting too much preasure on the GPU or are they designed to run under that kind of load?

I dropped the AA to X4 and reduced the shaddows and it came down to about 60 - 70% with minimal cost to the look of the game.

Any advise would be appreciated.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
heres my spec so you can see what i ordered

Chassis & Display
Vortex II: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
2GB AMD® HD6990m - DirectX® 11 (15.6" Vortex II)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N130 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Quantity

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Cheers Andy, i did upgrade the thermal paste at the last minute but didn't manage to upgrade the waranteein time =(

Really happy with the machine , got it last week. Just trying to get my graphics card drivers sorted out. Some of my games like Command and Conquer need the latest drivers to run at full graphics but the system just doesn't seem as stable unless im using the drivers from the PCS disc so i've rolled them back for the time being. Just have to play command and conquer on lower settings.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Cheers Andy, i did upgrade the thermal paste at the last minute but didn't manage to upgrade the waranteein time =(

Really happy with the machine , got it last week. Just trying to get my graphics card drivers sorted out. Some of my games like Command and Conquer need the latest drivers to run at full graphics but the system just doesn't seem as stable unless im using the drivers from the PCS disc so i've rolled them back for the time being. Just have to play command and conquer on lower settings.

I was with the impression that you should be able to upgrade your warranty even after receiving the PC, there is a time frame but I am certain it is longer than a week.